1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon S4 gets Apps to SD update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by treb1797, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Of course any OTA will kill root :) :p

Until root is exploited within a day or 2 ;)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

Just received OTA in Pittsburgh, PA

3. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 Well-Known Member

Verizon says one added feature is a WiFi on off toggle in notification panel, I can't find it.

The following capabilities have been added:
    &#8226; <+| icon added to the icon glossary (indicates "more" items in the Notification Panel)
    &#8226; Clear instruction in popup regarding Smart Scroll feature support
    &#8226; Wi-Fi quick on/off toggle in Notification Panel
    &#8226; Secure Boot status in About Phone in the Setting Menu
    &#8226; Background will now dim when help tips display
    &#8226; A new version of the SHealth application

4. fascinated

fascinated Well-Known Member

I checked out the link over at droid life. The hosting link in the support article is forbidden access. Anywhere else to get the update?

5. gkuhlen

gkuhlen Lurker

I have an S4 that is rooted but no custom ROM. When I downloaded the Verizon update it wouldn't install. The installation process stopped and it didn't make any changes. I won't bother with it after reading some posts about laggy phones and other issues.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

If you have a custom recovery installed, you cannot take an OTA

7. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

That is certainly your choice, but remember that there are ALWAYS bad reviews for any and every phone/update. There are several bad reviews about the original OS that came with the S4 at launch, and there are several bad reviews about the previous OS update, and yes, there are several bad reviews about the current OS update.

There are of course good reviews about each of these as well.
    Personally, I've found the current OS pretty stable (and found the previous version just as stable too) - haven't noticed any lag in either.

Everybody has different expectations, and so, their reviews vary. If things aren't working right, people will come to the forums and complain. If things are going great, a lot of people won't ever bother to come to the forums and say that it is working great!

Also, note that some of the people are using custom ROMs, and don't know how to flash the new updates correctly, thus causing problems for their updates. For example, you got lucky that the OTA update didn't apply over your rooted phone. If it had, it could have caused you problems, and you would probably add to the list of people stating that the new update sucks.

8. bradyapba

bradyapba Well-Known Member

this worked for me in springfield ma, downloading update now.

9. jimweda

jimweda Well-Known Member

I received and downloaded the update. As the phone is restarting from the Verizon screen it says "Android is upgrading... 207 apps! Is a good percentage of those apps bloatware or necessary files?

10. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

A good chunk of that is a combination of bloat and behind the scenes stuff that it is repopulating in the dalvik cache.

11. charlie310

charlie310 Well-Known Member

I'm d/l the update right now. IMO, the touchwiz is pretty bad and 50%+ of my apps are bloatware to never be used. But, I'm old now and I am too lazy to go through the whole rooting & flashing business. The main reason I used custom ROMs before was because of wifi hotspot, but now I get that free.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews