1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Verizon] SafeStrap backup stock to rom slot

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wiobyrne, Jan 22, 2014.

1. wiobyrne

wiobyrne Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Hi all, probably stupid question...just being cautious.

I followed the root guide using Kingo and installed SafeStrap...and backed up. All of this thanks to members of this community...so, thanks again.

In figuring out how to create the backup and use SafeStrap I've been following this video from Rootjunky.

Basically, he backs up the stock system...which I did successfully. He then restores this backup to the first slot in SafeStrap. In my mind, this is effectively creating two copies of the stock system on your card. Nevertheless...I tried restoring the backup to this first slot, and it fails every time.

What am I doing wrong...and...do I need to restore this backup to the first slot?

After I get a bit more comfortable with SafeStrap I'll most likely install a ROM to remove the bloat and this Verizon security warning that I've been receiving.

Thanks in advance,
    -Ian

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    who is your carrier so that i can move this to the right root forum?

i never heard of SafeStrap. is it a custom recovery? i would recomend twrp if it is.

ScandaLeX likes this.
  3. wiobyrne

wiobyrne Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Hi, sorry. It's Verizon.

Safestrap is the recovery work around for a bunch of phones. I have the Galaxy Note 3.

4. MrClean

MrClean Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Male
    Telecom
    KC MO

SafeStrap is the TWRP based recovery for Verizon (not sure if it works on other carriers). It allows a user to launch a custom ROM instead of the stock ROM even though the boot loader is locked. I used it with my Moto Bionic and glad to see the dev got it working on the Note 3.

wiobyrne likes this.
  5. sanjsrik

sanjsrik Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Brooklyn, NY
    It works on my t-mobile Note 3

wiobyrne likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    ahh got it.....moved to the verizon note 3 root forum where folks who have your phone rooted can see this thread better.

wiobyrne likes this.
  7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Hi Wiobyrne and welcome to Android Forums!

I have never heard of, nor do I see a reason in, creating a mirrored second Stock slot. The Stock slot basically sits there, in suspended animation if you will, inactive... while you work out of the custom ROM slot. Having TWO inactive stock slots makes no sense to all.

Make your backup (you did), create Slot 1 with 3 GB / 3 GB / 1 GB (make sure you have a big enough microSD card) and flash a ROM. Beans and Hyperdrive are very popular... I use Hyperdrive 6 and it is amazing!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

It's great to have you here :)

8. wiobyrne

wiobyrne Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks a ton....The_Chief.

I figured it might be overkill. I took a chance and skipped the backup of the backup...and just installed Hyperdrive as per your recommendations. I love it. The main issue that I had was the ton of bloat on the device. Now I don't have to waste time with Titanium and figuring out which apps to freeze.

I do have another quick question. I bought a 64 GB card and used it to replace the 16 GB that I was using in the Note. I went to Safestrap, installed the card, did another backup, and then booted back into Hyperdrive. From your experience is there anything else I need to be wary of when just swapping cards?

I now have two copies of stock on two cards. I just didn't know if I needed to adjust partitions in Safestrap given the changes in available size.

Thanks again for the support.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Well, as I understand it all but the Stock Slot reside on the microSD card. You're literally running your phone from it. So if you go from one card to another, you're really going from one Hyperdrive ROM to another Hyperdrive ROM and you'll be forever updating apps... not to mention confusing the heck out of Safestrap.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just consolidate everything onto the 64GB card and be done with it.

10. wiobyrne

wiobyrne Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Hi,

Yeah, I put in the new card, used SafeStrap to re-install recovery to the new card (probably not needed), and rebooted to recovery to backup stock to the new card. From there I immediately booted into Hyperdrive. I thought I would have to reinstall Hyperdrive, but it was there waiting for me.

It's been running for two days and (knock on wood) no problems. I'll just be using the 64 GB from now on. No need to worry about different cards. The 16 can go back to the OG Nook Color.

11. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sounds like you could of just accidentally installed HyperDrive over your Stock ROM. This is perfectly fine, it's what I did. I really had no use for saving it.

I currently have a backup of HyperDrive and JellyBeans on my device and that's fine with me, plus I don't need to allocate space for ROMs so that's a plus :)

MrClean likes this.
  12. wiobyrne

wiobyrne Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    At this point I have stock (that I haven't used in two weeks) and Hyperdrive is my daily driver. I'm happy for now. I might test out JellyBeans...but I have everything I need at this point.

Although...I do keep en eye on the CyanogenMod Development for the Verizon Note 3. :)

I don't mind using nightlies. It's the bootloader that has me cautious. I'll wait until there is a safer way. But, honestly I don't know if I'll ever use/need Know...so...

13. fatstacks

fatstacks Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Owner/Operator of Cell Phone Stores
    Philly
    I'm having the same issue. I want to restore my stock backup to slot 1 so that I can remain stock, but freeze/uninstall apps, play with xposed, etc.. without messing up my stock install and without needing to install a custom rom. I've heard it could be due to being plugged in while backing up/creating the slot/restoring, but that's not the case for me. I'm thinking it may be because I only have roughly 7.5GB free on my internal and I'm creating a ~6.5GB rom slot? I also have no SD card at the moment either.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

14. William T Riker

William T Riker Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    Male
    East Coast USA
    As far as I have read CM11 is Developer edition only, cannot be used on retail until a way to unlock the bootloader is found.

It uses a different kernel and you can't change kernels w/ a locked bootloader

15. jetguat

jetguat Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Male
    Telecommunication Infrastructure
    Midwest

Ok. Got safe strap on. My nandroid is going as we speak. Downloaded (but have yet to install HD6). Question about the slot 1, is the prevailing opinion that 3 GB / 3 GB / 1 GB is still the way to go?

how much is comparable to the "stock slot" is that the same, more, or less. I have space on the SD card but not really sure how much space to use

UPDATE 02/19/2014: 3GB / 4GB / 1GB is the maximum using safestrap 3.71

16. sanjsrik

sanjsrik Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anyone have a link to the T-Mobile variant of Hyperdrive? I can find the links to the Verizon version but is that safe to flash using Safestrap on the T-Mobile Note 3?

17. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    I would like to keep stock rom in stock rom slot but then also have stock rom in a slot. I would then modify the stock rom in slot whatever (1?) so that it would not accept updates, debloat, add spell check underlining, then just use the modified stock rom on my slot as my daily driver. It isnt clear to me from reading this thread if that is possible?

18. jetguat

jetguat Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Male
    Telecommunication Infrastructure
    Midwest

There are youtube videos that show how to install and setup safestrap. in those videos, the exchange it to make a nandroid backup of the stock. They then install that into slot 1. So you can do that. As to debloat, you would have to do that yourself. Freezing or uninstalling what you wanted. Not sure on the spell check underlining. probably not even a part of the stock rom. but generally yes you can do what you said.

19. Dabitz

Dabitz Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    Accounting Supervisor
    NJ
    I believe the reason they installed stock into slot 1 was to safely make modifications to it while keeping a "virgin" stock copy untouched. I could be wrong but at the time that video was made, no custom ROMS were available yet. If you are going to install HyperDrive or another ROM, you don't need to do that. Right now I have the stock slot untouched, HyperDrive on slot 1 and Jelly Beans on slot 2.

20. recDNA

None

Aug 4, 2010
    You dont understand, I know about nandroids and will do one but I want stock rom in 2 different slots that I can switch back and forth to. One virgin, one modified. Some have posted they cant get that to work

21. hoopdedoo

hoopdedoo Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2014
    I understand exactly, although I'm a little late to the party. It makes perfect sense that you want a pristine, well-behaved stock-install, that you can always easily get back to. Sure, you could restore a backup of it, but Safestrap is designed to do it the way you described. If you haven't already figured it out, just watch that video one more time, that you linked above.

Set your Boot Rom to Slot 1 (or whatever you named it), and go back to the home screen. As long as you're on Slot 1 and NOT "Stock ROM", you can click the Restore function, and a COPY of the Stock ROM will be placed into Slot 1. Then do whatever you want to it. If it gets fubar, you can just restore again. An even better approach might be to do an occasional backup of Slot 1 as you tweak it...if you let it auto-name, you can see all the backups in chronological order. Cheers.

22. recDNA

None

Aug 4, 2010
    Excellent thanks.

23. recDNA

None

Aug 4, 2010
    Yes, underlining errors is in stock rom. You just need to turn it on. There is a mod in xda that does it if flashed over stock rooted rom. It screws up custom roms unless developer builds. It in. I haven't been able to find a custom rom with this mod built in.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.