1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon Samsung Droid/Nexus Prime Speculation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jamor, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jamor

jamor Android Expert

Is Verizon getting a Droid/Nexus Prime? The phone is unconfirmed so this is just a speculation thread.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. deadeye823

deadeye823 Lurker

anyone have any thoughts on whether or not the prime will be global?

3. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

4. RedneckDroid

RedneckDroid Newbie

I appreciate what you're trying to do sans..but this isn't about the nexus prime..even if they are essentially the same phone. Notice how there is the droid and milestone forums for more details. ;)

5. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

Well, on verizon it's the same phone. If you look at Nexus Prime forum here, 99% of them are verizon folks. It's too early to tell if and when Nexus Prime will hit other carriers.

6. ArmchairBear

ArmchairBear Well-Known Member

My guess is that it will be analogous to the Nexus One and Droid Incredible situation.

Droid Prime will be very similar to the Nexus Prime except with a few hardware or cosmetic differences. (2 LED flash bulbs for camera, just kidding)

Since it's made by Samsung, the Droid Prime will have a version of their Touch Wiz UI on top of ICS, and will have Verizon bloatware (like CityID).

Also because it's made by Samsung, the bootloader will not be locked and a custom rom may be available within a month of its release.

Another possibility is that ICS is so new that Samsung has not had enough time to develop a new version of Touch Wiz UI for it, and it will be more like a Moto Droid 1 situation: pure ICS with some Verizon bloatware.

I just hope the phone is only as wide as 4.0" phones and the extra screen size/space is only for the ICS menu buttons.

Also I think it will be a global phone with a sim card for use with Vodaphone systems, Verizon's sister carrier overseas. Most, if not all verizon phone now are global ever since Droid 2.

7. Sandroidfan

I think that's a bit stretch. The only global phones they released this year are Incredible 2 and Droid 3. All others are just CDMA. So I'm not holding breath on it being GSM/CDMA dual mode phone.

8. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert

+1. These phones that are rumored to have 4.6" screens and above are too big

9. jamor

jamor Android Expert

4.6 inch does not necessarily mean the phone is going to be bigger than the 4.3 inch phones. They were able to squeeze in .3 inches to a 4.3 inch type device thanks to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Make sure when you are purchasing by size, get the actual dimensions of the phone because that is a lot more accurate than the screen size because screen sizes can get bigger while the actual phone stays the same size.

10. jamor

jamor Android Expert

HDMI would be great too.

11. cereal killer

cereal killer Android Expert

We are all assuming Verizons version will share the same specs and UI. I for one hope this holds up. There's just a general lack of info on this handset.

12. Bearly

Bearly Android Expert

Where did you get that?

13. rrhartjr

rrhartjr Well-Known Member

Baseless speculation using a dash of common sense and a splash of unfounded rumor... but isn't that what we're all doing?

14. Sandroidfan

It's been said many times that Ice Cream will have software home, menu, back buttons instead of using hardware buttons on the bottom of phone. So that extra 0.3" can be used for software buttons while taking up the bottom space usually reserved for physical buttons. This is still not official until Ice Cream is announced but it's not pure speculation either.

15. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Okay: so how do we reconcile official "unofficial" dates of mid-October/early November with official "unofficial" dates of mid- to late-November? Somebody's bean-dippin' here, and we don't know who. Maybe they all are. I would love nothing better than to see an October launch... but if ICS isn't even finished enough yet to put on a test phone and it hasn't cleared FCC yet, it's hard to see that happening.

16. Sandroidfan

I know things just don't come together very well on that rumor. I just found that story interesting, but don't quite believe it.

17. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

18. Well if the overall size is larger like that of the infuse 4g I could see them fitting a larger battery into it with keeping it relatively thin since it has more space overall.

19. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

With the latest news from Samsung about the Galaxy S2 HD. This could be the so called Droid Prime.
    As it stands now it is only being sold in Korea, but a variant could show up here very soon on Verizon.

Samsung Galaxy S II LTE HD Product Specifications:
    Size/weight

20. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

21. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

Unknown? I just did a cut and paste from another site.
    I think we will have a better idea of what is going on within the next couple of days.

22. Sandroidfan

Phonearena reported that it's pentile HD screen but said it's hardly noticeable.
    The hardware spec looks similar to Driod Prime but I like to know what processor it has. If HD SGSII LTE has S3 snapdragon, I don't think this one will be any kind of Prime as ICS will first show up in OMAP4 based phone. Even if Verizon launches Prime without ICS on board, it must be using OMAP4 to be able to upgrade to ICS soon IMO.

23. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

My guess would be; The Droid (?) would be released with GB and will be upgraded to ICS at the beginning of the year.

As far as the CPU, Hmmm? That my make or break this cell. Without having OMAP4 the cell will be taking a step backwards.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews