1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus can be used @ Metro?

Discussion in 'Metro PCS' started by Bard, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Bard

Bard Android Expert

One of a good friends of mine gave me his Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus to me (SCH-I515V)

So far the device itself is good but missing its SIM card.

Can this be somehow used at Metro PCS network?

Is it even possible, if so what steps (unlock, taking it to dealer etc etc..) should I take?

Thank you for your input as always.

Advertisement

2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 5, looks like you mean the older Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus released back in 2011? That phone is CDMA only and can't work on Metro.

3. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

The Nexus 5 is made by LG, not Samsung. That said, I don't think that MetroPCS would allow that with the bring your own device program. It is not the same technology as T-Mobile, which MetroPCS is now based on. The old CDMA network is being shut down and the only way I know of to get on to it is with a phone MetroPCS sold. Some areas already have been shut down and converted to GSM, so it might not be available where you live anyway.

4. confed

confed Android Expert

The Nexus 5 works fine on the new network. You do not need a phone sold by Metro. My OnePlus One works fine as well on the new network. As pointed out though, if it's a Samsung that op has, it's not the 5.

5. timmyh318

timmyh318 Android Enthusiast

The model number is sch. Its a samsung device. Its the galaxy nexus as stated. Verizon prepaid though is now offering lte service. If the esn is clean and you really wanna use the phone its something to look into.

6. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

I was told by a MetroPCS person that they are only allowing GSM phones on the bring your own device program, and that is a CDMA phone. They are trying to get people off CDMA and on to GSM, so why would they want to activate a new CDMA account?

7. Bard

Bard Android Expert

Sorry for the confusion all, the model # is good so the correct-official name of the phone is Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I updated OP as well.

So.. I guess I will just use it as wi-fi device then ><?

8. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Android Expert

TheSo i just bought a droid mini any chance of getting lte in it..i read people saying they got it on T-Mobile but i wanna see if any of you guys know.

Yes this my 5th motorola device in a year, no I don't think I am that much of a moto Fanboy.

9. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Android Expert

Or a dev devic, its still a GNex, and I think PlayfulGod could flash it to cricket or sprint (or teach you how, see his site)

10. timmyh318

Flashing to cricket is pointless. Even if your in an old cdma area att is being very aggresive in shutting them down. There not takin there time like tmobile is with metro.

11. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Android Expert

Just a option, besides feel like metro network is being pushed out at a pretty substantial rate as well...

12. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

Flashing would kind of be pointless unless you really want CDMA 3g, but pageplus would be your best bet.

could always use it as a perk device :p

13. timmyh318

Yea they are. There just goin about it differently. T mobile is trying to appease metro cdma customers as where att dont really care if cricket cdma customers leave. 2 different companies at 2 different stages i guess. But if he flashed to cricket i wouldnt expect service on it to much longer.

14. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

I didn't even think about the 3G CDMA part. It is downright pathetic on MetroPCS!

15. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

The only way to activate a Galaxy Nexus on Metro without flashing would be to use a GT-9250 rather than the i515.

Bard likes this.
  16. timmyh318

Honestly id put it on craigslist and sell it and buy something a lil newer. The galaxy nexus wasnt a bad phone by any means i had one with sprint and besides the occasional radio issue where it just dropped data i enjoyed it. But google long ago stopped support of it claiming it was because t.i. went out of business so there was no support for the processor. You may be able to get anywhere from 60-100 bucks for it depending on who wants to buy it.

Bard likes this.