• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus can be used @ Metro?

The Nexus 5 is made by LG, not Samsung. That said, I don't think that MetroPCS would allow that with the bring your own device program. It is not the same technology as T-Mobile, which MetroPCS is now based on. The old CDMA network is being shut down and the only way I know of to get on to it is with a phone MetroPCS sold. Some areas already have been shut down and converted to GSM, so it might not be available where you live anyway.

Upvote 0
The Nexus 5 is made by LG, not Samsung. That said, I don't think that MetroPCS would allow that with the bring your own device program. It is not the same technology as T-Mobile, which MetroPCS is now based on. The old CDMA network is being shut down and the only way I know of to get on to it is with a phone MetroPCS sold. Some areas already have been shut down and converted to GSM, so it might not be available where you live anyway.

The Nexus 5 works fine on the new network. You do not need a phone sold by Metro. My OnePlus One works fine as well on the new network. As pointed out though, if it's a Samsung that op has, it's not the 5.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion all, the model # is good so the correct-official name of the phone is Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I updated OP as well.

So.. I guess I will just use it as wi-fi device then ><?

Or a dev devic, its still a GNex, and I think PlayfulGod could flash it to cricket or sprint (or teach you how, see his site)

Upvote 0
Yea they are. There just goin about it differently. T mobile is trying to appease metro cdma customers as where att dont really care if cricket cdma customers leave. 2 different companies at 2 different stages i guess. But if he flashed to cricket i wouldnt expect service on it to much longer.

Upvote 0
Honestly id put it on craigslist and sell it and buy something a lil newer. The galaxy nexus wasnt a bad phone by any means i had one with sprint and besides the occasional radio issue where it just dropped data i enjoyed it. But google long ago stopped support of it claiming it was because t.i. went out of business so there was no support for the processor. You may be able to get anywhere from 60-100 bucks for it depending on who wants to buy it.

Reactions: Bard
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones