1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon SCH-i800 with activation bypassed for wi-fi only. Now I can't update firmware

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by olandir, Nov 4, 2012.

1. olandir

olandir Newbie
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Hello,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab a while back when they first came out (before the wifi only version appeared on the market). Because I only wanted to use it on wi-fi (not pay Verizon monthly for access), I bypassed the activation screen using a tutorial I found so that I could just use it wi-fi only.

The system is constantly saying there is an update available, but does not allow me to actually update. I assume the problem is because of how I bypassed activation.

So now, I would like to update the tablet (I have no problems with wiping everything to do this). I'd like to get the latest firmware, keep it at wi-fi only and root it (to stop getting the stupid system update message).

I know this is a tall order, and I am diligently looking through this and other forums trying to understand the root / manual firmware update for this device, it just seems a lot harder than my android phones.

I don't need to be handheld through the process. If someone could just point me to the various Tutorials I need to follow and what order I need to do things in, that would be great.

My current firmware is 2.2 which is what was originally installed.

Advertisement

2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    Hi olandir! You can check in the Root Section for the Galaxy Tab for information on how to root. It's full of information.