• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] security_update.apk (from where?)

jetguat

Android Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2011
Midwest
I'm using HD7. I've been getting an automatic download of a "security_update.apk" No sure from where or why. I did receive an email from a friend with a link, and part of me thinks that it now might have been some spam and the link I clicked on resulted in some type of download.

confusing part is the phone keep downloading it. I've not installed it. I've not caught wind of any update. And furthermore, since I'm running HD7, I did expect to receive such things.

What I also dont get is what is triggering it to download again. I've power down/up the phone. So if its spam related, what is causing it to download more.

Thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed?

Hi

It may be this

Beware of security.update.apk

see also this http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/android-app-reports/app/security.update.apk/

Main thing is don't install it. One of the free apps from Playstore such as bitdefender, lookout, avg etc should remove it I think.

Roger

that does sound like it. I downloaded a Bitdefender (they have two free versions. wasnt sure which to try, so I tried the one with "Mobile security")

I ran the scan is it did identify the "Security.Update.apk" as malware. will see if it works. thanks for the suggestions

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones