• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [SOLVED][HELP] Galaxy Nexus Rooting: Issue with ADB/FASTBOOT [HELP][SOLVED]

Edward Oak

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
Hi,

I'm a new User and I was following "Scary Alien" tutorial on rooting the GNex.
So I followed the guide and my device was recognized by the command: fastboot devices

So, I tried "adb push su.zip /sdcard/"
and got the following error message: Error, device not found.

So I contacted Scary Alien and we tried several things, including: "Unplugging-replugging;Re-install drivers;RestartBootloader;kill-server."

Still without success.

So after awhile I realized that when I plug my USB in fastboot mode, I get the error: Fastboot Command Read Error - 2147483647

I searched a little bit on the internet and only got "re-install driver" tips.

I re-installed the drivers over 5 times now. This is not working.

Can someone please help me root my GNex?

- Eddy

are you sure your device is recognized? If you connect your phone to your PC can you "see it" as a drive? The Nexus is notorious for being a pain in the ass to get drivers working for it on a PC.

Yep, it's recognized by windows AND fastboot (cmd: fastboot devices)

You specified "PC"

Do you think I'd have a better chance on another OS (With or Without WINE)?

Upvote 0
I would suggest USBDeview to make certain all the old devices are gone, but you said that your device does show up on fastboot devices command. I had some issues and this helped get rid of everything (even though I thought I had through right-click delete). Maybe the link will help others who don't get that far.
Just read this "A tiny postscript to this article. I had some issues connecting my computer to fastboot(adb worked fine). When I would make the connection, I would get the error "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647" and in Windows Device Manager I would see the device as fastboot but with the error "Device cannot start". These were resolved by moving to a different USB port." at another site. It's worth a try.

Reactions: Edward Oak
Upvote 0
I would suggest USBDeview to make certain all the old devices are gone, but you said that your device does show up on fastboot devices command. I had some issues and this helped get rid of everything (even though I thought I had through right-click delete). Maybe the link will help others who don't get that far.
Just read this "A tiny postscript to this article. I had some issues connecting my computer to fastboot(adb worked fine). When I would make the connection, I would get the error "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647" and in Windows Device Manager I would see the device as fastboot but with the error "Device cannot start". These were resolved by moving to a different USB port." at another site. It's worth a try.

Thanks, I'll try Maxal's toolkit and try this right afterwards.

Upvote 0
The issue seems relative to ADB. Could maybe re-installing the SDK Manager would help?
PDANet had issues with installing drivers and Toolkit is having issues with checking adb.

What do? Please, somebody help.

Link to the easiest way to do this in Windows: http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/for...wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html#post22678

Or if you can get to a Linux based OS machine soon, I can walk you through it over gtalk.

jmar

Ninja'd on the WugFresh root toolkit.:D

Upvote 0
Even though this thread is a few days old, since it has to deal with rooting, and by scary aliens technique, then it needed to be moved to the galaxy nexus all things root

Issue is now resolved.

How did I fixed it:

-Re-created Windows Profile.
-Made sure no drivers relative to the GNex were installed.
-Tried in another USB port.
-Plugged in Debug mode.
-Windows automatically downloaded the Driver "Galaxy Nexus" and failed downloading "Galaxy Nexus Interface"
-Used the generic Drivers from on this forum to update the GNEX Interface driver

Verified if ADB was working with cmd: adb push su.zip /sdcard/

Worked (I was so happy to see "successful" instead of "error")

I think the root source of the issue was either the USB port or some drivers errors.

Last time I checked, the driver for "Debug" was labeled: " Samsung Mobile Phone Bootloader Interface".
After I re-plugged it in another port to start a full driver install, it was labeled "Galaxy Nexus Interface".

Anyways. Thanks for your help.

Next time someone has a similar issue, simply tell him to "trial and error" with ports/computers/OS/Drivers.

Thanks again.

On that, I'm out... PEACE.

- Eddy

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones