1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon, Spare Battery Charger and Ripping us off!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zedster, Dec 22, 2011.

1. zedster

zedster Android Enthusiast

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

They are only ripping you off if they make you buy it ;)

3. jse2480

jse2480 Newbie

??
    On the Samsung site you linked to below, the last sentence in the description says "Wall charger not included."

Lunacy likes this.
  4. Romparoo

Romparoo Android Enthusiast

lol

5. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

moved this to the verizon section. poor GSM owners can't get a spare battery charger at all yet, don't wanna rub it in their faces. :p

6. Jrob80

Jrob80 Lurker

I bought the spare battery charger and it came with the charging unit a dual charging chord (charge two devices or battery and phone). But it did not come with a wall mount, my old Droid charger works just fine.

7. johnpith

johnpith Lurker

I was wondering, does this charge also work for the extended battery?

Thanks.

8. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert

Yes it does . The lid won't close all the way but it works

johnpith likes this.
  9. xxxegoxxx

xxxegoxxx Newbie

actually it does state that the wall charger is included...

10. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

i bought the standard battery with external charger from a vzw store. what's the OP talking about? lol

11. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

They were talking about the Samsung version coming with another Micro USB wall charger (the cord from the wall to the charger), whereas the Verizon one doesn't.

The difference is that the Verizon version swapped out the wall charger for the y-cable, which you would then plug your existing charger into, leaving you with the battery charger plugged in, plus an open port for whatever. Same result, different path. I would imagine they kinda figure that most people still have their charger to use anyway (if not plenty of spares by now)

12. BubbaNexus

Again, i bought mine from the vzw store and it came with the charger unit, not a cable.

13. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

Wouldn't be the first time they've had a change though. ( I was just going by the original pages linked and what they claimed to include) It might be that they were originally going to carry the Y-cable package but something changed, and they didn't update the site, or something. Good to know though, for people to keep an eye out.

14. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast

Purchased mine from Verizon on release day. Came with the extra standard battery, the external charger, and a y-cable. No wall charger, but I could've cared less. At that time, Verizon was charging $39.99 for that package, OR you could just purchase the standard battery by itself for $39.99. Was a no-brainer to me.

15. NAZology

NAZology Newbie

Can I get some clarification?

I need the standard spare battery as well as something to charge it with. It looks like this is what I need. My question is does this only charge via USB? Or can this plug into a wall? For whatever reason I can't seem to find clarification. It comes with a spare battery. Perfect.

As far as the charging dock for the battery, does that plug into a wall? Just USB? Or both? How does it charge essentially. Sorry for the dumb ass question.

16. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

Not a dumb question, by any means :)

The dock needs to be plugged in, via a wall charger cable. You COULD plug it in with a usb cable, but I doubt it would work well, considering. But normally, it would come with a wall charger that you would go from the wall, to the dock.

It appears that Verizon has had multiple package versions of this though. One user got a wall charger cable with his, the other got the Y-cable that is shown (you would use your existing wall charger, plug the Y into the end, one end of THAT would go to the dock, and it would leave the other end open to plug your phone into). So if you're looking through the Verizon versions, I would try to just double-check, if it matters to you which way you have it plugged. If you already have a spare micro-usb wall charger laying around, then it probably won't matter as much to you.

17. BubbaNexus

oh i see. yeah i jsut my phone charger for the portable battery charging unit. what's the big deal?

18. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

To a lot of people, it won't really be a big deal. However, there are some people who would say that for the Verizon package with the Y cable, that Verizon is just being cheap for not giving the whole charger instead, yet charging the same amount. (though people have been able to get either version). And I can see if I didn't have a spare charger around, I'd probably like that instead too. Simply because if I use my phone while plugged in, I can't very well do that with a y-cable and battery charger hanging off the same cord while I try to hold my phone. But I have plenty of chargers, so it matters not to me. Personally, I think they should sell both side by side, and let people choose which they'd rather have. Honestly though, for what it actually costs for that charger vs Y-cable, I don't think Verizon is really trying to break the bank on that savings, unless they think they'll sell hundreds of thousands of those chargers.

19. BubbaNexus

i don't even remember the y-cable. i'll check the box lol

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews