1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] Spontaneous reboots?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GreyMouser, Jan 12, 2012.

1. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Member
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Is anyone else's GNex spontaneously rebooting? It's done it twice today, and I haven't even been using it. Rooted, but nothing else out of the ordinary on my phone. My wife's phone is fine. I think I'm going to de-root it and exchange it tomorrow...

Advertisement

2. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Yep. Several other threads on it. Are you using Volume + or Lightflow? Both are possible causes. I know that after rooting (and thus wiping my phone) I installed but haven't configured Volume + (so it's effectively doing nothing) and have yet to have another reboot.

3. asmallchild

asmallchild Member
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    It happens to me in the Navigation app

I've cleared the cache to my Maps app and it hasn't happened since although I haven't been on any 60 minute+ road trips since the holiday season

4. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    moved to all things root, for better discussion among the rooted users.

i have installed milestone 1 (14) and i will occasionally get the reboot. im tempted to take it back to stock, as i dont really use any of the features of this rom, except moving the clock to the center.

but if your experiencing reboots, i would give it time, its probably nothing considering its a new phone, the DX did the exact same thing at first, and after 2 or 3 updates, it never rebooted on its own again, even though my DX never stayed stock for very long, but with the blurred roms we had it was still in the code, and when 2init came along, there were no such things as random reboots, however if it persists, and gets worse, you may want to try a ROM out and see if that can help you out any

5. andiroo

andiroo Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    My GNex has started randomly rebooting in the last week or so. Sometimes it crashes hard and asks for my password to decrypt, other times it just comes back to the regular lock screen. I'm NOT rooted.

6. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    Happens to me as well. Not that often, but it does happen. usually at very strange times when you wouldn't expect a reboot. The most recent that I remember I was skipping tracks in Google Music. Again, very random. I don't have Volume + installed, but do use Light Flow so maybe that's the cause

7. ebe3692

ebe3692 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    woke up last night to a colorful flashing light in my bedroom. looked over and realized my phone had randomly gone into a bootloop while on the charger in the middle of the night. it was just stuck on the boot animation screen.

half-asleep I had to do a battery pull and then it was back to normal.

luckily I woke up otherwise I would have been late for work because I use my phone as my alarm. never happened before but now I am considering going back to my clock radio to wake me up....

8. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    happens to me too. in just over 3 weeks, it's happened a handful of times each week. less so lately, as I'm installing less apps and messing with settings less.

It is usually after a long time without a reboot and heavy use of data, like tethering for a couple Gigabytes or so + other voice and data usage. Once it happened right in the middle of a phone call!!!!

It hasn't been much of an issue... just be sure you do a fresh reboot before an important phone call!

9. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    i've had mine shut off for no reason the other night...not sure why. I had to pull the battery to get it to come back on.

As far as reboots...i have not had one single random reboot. I'm running Redemption Rom 1.0.2 with LeanKernel 1.6.1

10. sneakking

sneakking Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Chattanooga
    i have had a couple random reboots, rooted stock right now

after the last one it got stuck in a bootloop so i took out the battery

i have lightflow, but have had it for weeks and the few reboots started recently

*shrugs*

11. umataro42

umataro42 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    San Pedro, CA
    Same here, rooted but stock, and had lightflow for a couple weeks now. First reboot happened yesterday and another one this morning. Haven't got stuck in bootloop though.

The first time, I was running a gps app (iMapMyRun+) and when I went back into the app after the reboot, it still had the info from my walk, which I would have expected to be lost after the reboot.

Tags: