• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Stable CynogenMod Anytime Soon?

lhands25

Lurker
Dec 25, 2012
So i just rooted my vzw gs3 based on the ota 4.1.1 vrblk3 update. Main reason in doing so is because touvh wiz is poop and stock jellybean is much more appealing to me. Also, ive never flashed a rom before. When I do find a stable build of cynogenmod and flash it, will all my apps and data be erased?

So i just rooted my vzw gs3 based on the ota 4.1.1 vrblk3 update. Main reason in doing so is because touvh wiz is poop and stock jellybean is much more appealing to me. Also, ive never flashed a rom before. When I do find a stable build of cynogenmod and flash it, will all my apps and data be erased?

The only thing I have seen are nightlies. If you do find it, it will probably wipe your data/apps etc. so be sure to do a backup and use Titanium Backup to backup your user apps and data. Your contacts and apps themselves should be auto saved in your google account. (If you use google for contacts):)

Upvote 0
using Rom Manager you can typically see user comments on the various nightly builds. However, just the past few hours comments arent showing for me ... which stinks because there is a new build and i want to try it lol

Before today, there have been data loss issues with nightlys, id wait til you can view other user comments before jumping in .. at least thats what im doing at the moment.

If you know another source of feedback on the builds please do let me know. i.e. a thread on XDA? I couldnt seem to find one. link please if you know of it.

Upvote 0
All I know about is the changelog: BBQLog - Official CyanogenMod 7, 9 and 10 Changelog for Android distrubtion

Once there's a stable out I don't bother with nightlies, too much of a pain. I am going to try one of the OTA builds soon and compare with CM stability-wise.

On my dInc i loved nightlies!! They were very far along and usually 99% stable, the only change log was bug fixes that i never even noticed, and to add cool new features. it was heaven!! Must have flashed like 40+ nightlies in a row, without seeing a bug .. just new features that worked perfect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones