• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Tech here - ask away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperboy

Nov 12, 2009
Hey everyone. I just registered for this site. Seems like a great place to be. I do Tech Support for Verizon in-store and know all of the phones pretty well. I am here to answer any questions you might have (let's try to keep it related to the Droid) that you might not have the answer to. Please keep in mind, I'm not a developer and I'm not going to be able to tell you that why such and such app isn't working on your phone. I'm here to answer questions related to Verizon and how the Droid works with Verizon's network and any tech related questions related to the Droid.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you have, and mods, if there is a better place for this thread, please feel free to move it
smile.gif
Thanks guys. I look forward to helping you.

Upvote 0
Green haze in the middle of the camera... I'm not sure that its been there the whole time... I find its most notable when taking pictures of white things... There are several others that have posted sample images of it here. Is this common amongst other devices you've worked w/?

See further reference for sample photos here:
http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting/19802-green-blur-center-camera.html

Hmm... not a complaint I have seen in the store or on any of the phones I have used, including mine. Did you update to 2.0.1 yet? Probably won't help, but try wiping off the lens with a cloth.

Upvote 0
Hmm... not a complaint I have seen in the store or on any of the phones I have used, including mine. Did you update to 2.0.1 yet? Probably won't help, but try wiping off the lens with a cloth.

Yep updated to 2.0.1 and I've wiped with a cloth... Was funny I tried to take a pic the other day and there was a bunch of lens effect type of junk in the picture... Not really lens effect but I can't think of the correct term... Many lines from light areas... Kinda like what you see when you first wake up. Anyway it turned out that wiping the lens off corrects that but the green haze is always there...

I'm still going to hold out for someone figuring something out and issuing a software fix but I've called VZW and logged that I'm having the issue. They offered to send me another phone being that its under warranty. I figure that I'll hold off on that to give them time to figure out their issues.

There is a lot of random pattern noise on their imager. Something tells me that they should have spent a little more time in power distribution and supply design to help clean some of that up but it is what it is...

I've got one further question... If I get a replacement now I'm sure that I'll get a refurbed unit... If I wait 6 or 8 months to give things time and then order a replacement based on this issue I'm sure it will be a refurb as well... However will the refurb stock be fairly refreshed (and of newer units) or does it stay fairly stagnant and a long way back.... Not sure if you have that much visibility into the supply chain management of the warranty dept but I figured I'd ask....

Upvote 0
Yep updated to 2.0.1 and I've wiped with a cloth... Was funny I tried to take a pic the other day and there was a bunch of lens effect type of junk in the picture... Not really lens effect but I can't think of the correct term... Many lines from light areas... Kinda like what you see when you first wake up. Anyway it turned out that wiping the lens off corrects that but the green haze is always there...

I'm still going to hold out for someone figuring something out and issuing a software fix but I've called VZW and logged that I'm having the issue. They offered to send me another phone being that its under warranty. I figure that I'll hold off on that to give them time to figure out their issues.

There is a lot of random pattern noise on their imager. Something tells me that they should have spent a little more time in power distribution and supply design to help clean some of that up but it is what it is...

I've got one further question... If I get a replacement now I'm sure that I'll get a refurbed unit... If I wait 6 or 8 months to give things time and then order a replacement based on this issue I'm sure it will be a refurb as well... However will the refurb stock be fairly refreshed (and of newer units) or does it stay fairly stagnant and a long way back.... Not sure if you have that much visibility into the supply chain management of the warranty dept but I figured I'd ask....

Well, I personally would have the device exchanged. As far as the refurb question, you would get a BRAND NEW phone if you exchange it within the 30 day WFG (Worry Free Guarantee). Any time after that it is very likely to be a refurb. They are sent to us through the manufacturer, Motorola in this case. I don't quite get what you mean when you ask if the refurbs will be "fairly refreshed", however. Do you mean if there is a hardware or software change, with the refurbs have it? The answer to that question is yes. When new hardware comes out, we get those phone and when new software comes out, we flash current stock and shortly there after, new stock comes in with the new firmware.

Upvote 0
Well, I personally would have the device exchanged. As far as the refurb question, you would get a BRAND NEW phone if you exchange it within the 30 day WFG (Worry Free Guarantee). Any time after that it is very likely to be a refurb. They are sent to us through the manufacturer, Motorola in this case. I don't quite get what you mean when you ask if the refurbs will be "fairly refreshed", however. Do you mean if there is a hardware or software change, with the refurbs have it? The answer to that question is yes. When new hardware comes out, we get those phone and when new software comes out, we flash current stock and shortly there after, new stock comes in with the new firmware.

Refreshed as in flushed through... as in is the refurb stock brought in every 6 months or more and then doled out as they are needed or are a smaller number kept on hand that are a fairly representative sample of that which is coming off of the current manufacturing line.

I'm already out of my 30 days so I knew that anything I got was going to be a refurb no matter when I exchange things... I figured I'd be fair and try the first software update to see if that fixed things but I think it was quite intentional that the update was a week after release day purchasers were out of their 30 days.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Refreshed as in flushed through... as in is the refurb stock brought in every 6 months or more and then doled out as they are needed or are a smaller number kept on hand that are a fairly representative sample of that which is coming off of the current manufacturing line.

I'm already out of my 30 days so I knew that anything I got was going to be a refurb no matter when I exchange things... I figured I'd be fair and try the first software update to see if that fixed things but I think it was quite intentional that the update was a week after release day purchasers were out of their 30 days.

CLNRs (the correct term for the refurbs - Certified Like New Replacements) are continuously sent to the stores based on demand. So we get X amount at a time and as we run low, we are replenished.

I don't believe the update was done intentionally after the 30 days, to be honest. They just needed some time to make the needed enhancements to the device and test it before they released it.

Does VZW officially acknowledge that the browser has slowed on some sites after the 2.0.1 update?

I have logged an issue on the google code site:
Issue 5286 - android - Browser lags when scrolling after 2.0.1 Update on Motorola DROID - Project Hosting on Google Code

And there have been a lot of people starring the issue for it to have moved to the first page of issues in a 48 hour period.

I have read that people are having this problem. I have noticed it on my phone as well. Verizon has not officially said anything in regards to that. I will send the issue up so that they are aware this is happening (if they aren't already).

Upvote 0
I have read that people are having this problem. I have noticed it on my phone as well. Verizon has not officially said anything in regards to that. I will send the issue up so that they are aware this is happening (if they aren't already).

Greatly appreciated. If you could please reference this issue link in your notifications. There is some good information there that may assist with fixing the issue. I'd really like to see this one go away soon. Many of my friends gave the phone very high marks based on how well scrolling worked in the browser. Also if one goes and looks at reviews where people compare the iPhone and the Droid they compare browser scroll speed and if the phones ever show blank screens while updating. If the Droid came out with 2.0.1 it would have caught some HEAVY criticism for this problem.

Any official news on when the exchange updates are scheduled to drop? Can you confirm the January rumors?

Upvote 0
Greatly appreciated. If you could please reference this issue link in your notifications. There is some good information there that may assist with fixing the issue. I'd really like to see this one go away soon. Many of my friends gave the phone very high marks based on how well scrolling worked in the browser. Also if one goes and looks at reviews where people compare the iPhone and the Droid they compare browser scroll speed and if the phones ever show blank screens while updating. If the Droid came out with 2.0.1 it would have caught some HEAVY criticism for this problem.

Any official news on when the exchange updates are scheduled to drop? Can you confirm the January rumors?

There was an exchange update of sorts in the 2.0.1 update. Where you referring to anything in particular? And as for a January update, keep your eyes open ;) I cannot confirm or deny... blah blah blah :rolleyes: you know how it goes, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
There was an exchange update of sorts in the 2.0.1 update. Where you referring to anything in particular? And as for a January update, keep your eyes open ;) I cannot confirm or deny... blah blah blah :rolleyes: you know how it goes, unfortunately.

I'd really like to see the ability to search my exchange email history beyond that which I sync with my device like I can in the gmail interface...

I'd also REALLY REALLY REALLLY love to have GAL access! I'd be willing to pay for an update that allowed the device to support GAL access directly in the email application.

Upvote 0
I'd really like to see the ability to search my exchange email history beyond that which I sync with my device like I can in the gmail interface...

I'd also REALLY REALLY REALLLY love to have GAL access! I'd be willing to pay for an update that allowed the device to support GAL access directly in the email application.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anything specific like that being fixed in any future updates :( sorry, but hopefully they will further improve corporate sync.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anything specific like that being fixed in any future updates :( sorry, but hopefully they will further improve corporate sync.

A leaked VZW document mentioned the search functionality coming... but nothing about the GAL support. :( Touchdown supports the GAL but its interface isn't as good as the default email app. Not saying the email app is perfect....but...

Upvote 0
A leaked VZW document mentioned the search functionality coming... but nothing about the GAL support. :( Touchdown supports the GAL but its interface isn't as good as the default email app. Not saying the email app is perfect....but...

The thing I don't like about Touchdown is that it won't syn your corporate calendar into your device calendar or your GMail calendar (that would than sync back to your device anyway). I asked them and they said that they aren't planning to fix that anytime soon, which is unfortunate. It's a great app otherwise, IMO.

Upvote 0
The thing I don't like about Touchdown is that it won't syn your corporate calendar into your device calendar or your GMail calendar (that would than sync back to your device anyway). I asked them and they said that they aren't planning to fix that anytime soon, which is unfortunate. It's a great app otherwise, IMO.

Actually it does sync your calendar quite well. Unless your saying it doesn't sync into the corporate calendar application which is true. You have to use the interface inside of Touchdown to view and create calendar events. Its very well done but the UI isn't my favorite.

Upvote 0
Actually it does sync your calendar quite well. Unless your saying it doesn't sync into the corporate calendar application which is true. You have to use the interface inside of Touchdown to view and create calendar events. Its very well done but the UI isn't my favorite.

I'm saying that I can't take the calendar info in Touchdown and shove it into the Calendar app on the Droid or into a GMail calendar. The 2 calendars are separate.

Upvote 0
I'm saying that I can't take the calendar info in Touchdown and shove it into the Calendar app on the Droid or into a GMail calendar. The 2 calendars are separate.

Yes... Technically the 3 calendars are separate... Touchdown has its own, then the two stock calendars... However there is a free calendar syncing tool that google writes for windows and outlook to dump outlook's data to a gmail calendar.

Upvote 0
Viperboy, So glad you are on the forum. I just got a replacement (BRAND NEW) droid right before my 30 days cuz my original had a very loose screen. Anyway now my new one is great except for a problem I discuss in another thread. Link is posted so as not to clutter up this forum. Will you hit me back with your thoughts? Is this a common issue? Should I live with it? Thanks in advance bro!

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/25605-replacement-droid-microphone-problem.html

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum. Would you be able to shed any insight into this issue (link below):

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ix-your-3g-1x-swtiching-reception-issues.html

...basically, the Droid seems to suffer from constant signal status change. Understandably its different for everyone based on location however some people drop signal in fairly decent reception areas, or just have weaker signal, than other phones on VZ in the same area.

More importantly, would this be something that software or configuration changes could fix, or is it strictly hardware?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones