1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Support Verizon tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 2011mazdaspeed, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 2011mazdaspeed

2011mazdaspeed Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    im coming from att, samsung infuse. I use tethering on unlimited plan ( not supposed to lol ) i dont do it too often, but when i do, i use it a lot. I was reading that verizon actually BLOCKED tethering? ( at least for mywi for iphone i was reading ) i was impressed with verizon new offer, as doubling data, so was going to go with the 5gb plan which would be doubled to 10gb... which would be MORE than enough for me. What is everyone doing for tethering, and have you recieved any warnings? and what app is being used with the new razr?

thanks so much.

Advertisement

2. 2011mazdaspeed

2011mazdaspeed Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
  3. SFBayArea

SFBayArea Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    I don't think you can do tethering without paying Verizon additional $30 for the same data you already paid your money for.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Tethering on the Verizon network is covered under an optional service through Verizon at additional monthly cost.

While there are ways to possibly circumvent this, it is not something that is normally discussed here at Android Forums!

5. evltwn

evltwn Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Torturing kids
    AZ
    There are apps that you can google that can help you. Nice with Verizon is that you can sideload apps. I believe ATT blocked this. Google PDAnet. I use version 3.02 on my DX. I have an unlimited plan so I don't have to worry about going over any data plans. Even if you root the phone, and use a wireless tethering app, Gingerbread has a way of detecting when the wireless hotspot is turned on and will direct you to VZW's page to sign up for a wireless tethering plan. PDAnet is not detected by GB. It's also not on the market, that's why you have to google it. You just have to use the USB cable to your laptop or desktop.

6. lens pirate

lens pirate Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Your droid razor support bluetooth tethering without any additional software.

Works great.

7. dr01d3tte

dr01d3tte Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Saint Louie
    Yes the devices will physically tether (like using your RAZR as a hotspot hub) but you can't use it until you sign up for the ridiculous $30/month fee for the privilege of using data you already paid for.

8. jacobjer

jacobjer Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    m currently tethering my newly rooted razor right now and loving it. I'm using the phone's stock mobile hotspot after it was edited w/ sql editor. I've rooted my droid pro and my droid 2. I used wireless tethering on both rooted devices, but always used a third party app never the stock mobile hot spot. So the rooting method and tethering hack did work via what you can find from droidrazrroot.com - my only fear is the $30 bill that may be coming for the tethering (yes I have unlimited data). MY only question is...does the stock mobile hot spot have to have superusers permissions - because it's not showing up in my apps directory. Or did editing the sql make that unnecessary.
    Also - if I were to check the mobile hot spot say first thing when I got the phone does it direct you somewhere to pay the $30 or does it allow you to tether and then hit with the bill later?

9. SmokeNMirrors

SmokeNMirrors Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Software Engineer
    Maryland, USA
    The default mobile hotspot does not need root. You only need root to make the SQL DB change.

If you check the hotspot prior to the SQL DB edit it will instruct you to contact customer service and quit.

I've read that folks have used the SQL DB trick and have not been charged. If you read the thread on XDA you will become aware that it would not be difficult for VZW to identify your traffic from their hotspot app. Though it seems they have not yet done this. However, for this reason it's probably advisable to use a 3rd party app.

This conversation never took place. :cool:

10. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    As previously noted,

Frisco likes this.