1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Titanium Backup to the REAL SD Card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Zoandroid, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

Has anyone managed to get Titanium Backup Pro to actually use the REAL SD Card as the nandroid storage folder location? It seems to work OK on my Iconia A500 tablet running ICS, but on the S3 it never "sees" the extsdcard when selecting a backup site, even though TIBU does report on the condition of free memory on the external SD Card. If it can see that, why can't it USE it?? :thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

You have to create the titanium folder on the ext card first, then it should let you select it. It is a bit strange but it is definitely the case. I can make backups on either sd card on my s3, but had to do this first for the external. Make the folder the same as the original one, "TitaniumBackup* is the name, I believe. Hope this helps.

jerofld, FishDoctor and Zoandroid like this.
  3. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

Did you reboot or anything after creating that folder? Because I did try that, but it still would not "detect" it. I would have preferred just being able to "browse" to that folder, which is actually what it says to do on the screen. But there are no "browsing" tools to do so.

4. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

I got it to work, and I think this is probably how I had done it on the tablet. Not only must there be a TitaniumBackup folder created on mnt/extsdcard, it also must be populated with previous backup files before TIBU will detect it. So I copied my entire mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup folder with all its files over to mnt/extsdcard. I then deletednthe original mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup folder.

At first TIBU choked on that and force closed. But a second attempt to run the app backup finally worked.

Thanks for the help. :)

FishDoctor and Rolo42 like this.
  5. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

Glad you got it sorted.

Zoandroid likes this.
  6. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

Thanks. The issue of having both internal memory and external real SD named "sdcard" is an annoyance for me, and a pet peeve. I wish they would have named the internal "sdcard" something totally different, so that apps which don't have options to select an 'external' SD card would not default to using internal memory. The makes of those apps clearly intended for their app to access storage on a removable card. It smacks of 'trickery' that the programmers for these devices named the internal memory 'sdcard'.

I've found myself wondering just what would happen if I renamed the 'internal sdcard' segment of memory to something else? Very tempted to try it and see. I could always restore a nandroid (hopefully) if it tanks.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews