1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon to cap data

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by faber78, Mar 2, 2011.

1. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None

Advertisement

2. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

When I signed up for my '$9.99 unlimited data for life' promotion I asked the guy point blank if there was any sort of limit to the terms of the promotion, or if it was indeed 'for life'. He said I would enjoy unlimited data, for $9.99 for as long as I...

A. Kept a calling plan of 1400 minutes or more. &
    B. Didn't switch to a different data plan that wasn't unlimited.

He wouldn't give me any information on 4g as he said they didn't have the pricing structure out for it yet, but I'm assuming what he means in the second criteria is that if I get a 4g device I will obviously have to choose one of their capped data plans. Thus I'll be opting out of the promotion at that time of my own free will.

So I'm thinking that article will refer to new customers. If they cancel my unlimited data on me I'll simply call them up, let them know they breached the terms of our contract, and go to Sprint and their $69 Everything Unlimited plan.

I can't understand Verizons train of thought on this. So long as even just one major carrier keeps an unlimited data package on the table, people will flock to it. Because with 4g devices, you'll be able to suck down 2 - 5 gigs of data in the blink of an eye. Can you even begin to imagine all those angry customers getting that first bill with hundreds of dollars of data overages on it?

Sure Verizon is the best service around IMO. But not THAT much better. I'm more than willing to take my chances with some of the other choices out there. Heck I'd even go with AT&T before I payed Verizon $125 bucks for 2 lousy gigs of data.

We're going to start hearing a very large sucking sound this summer. It will be the sound of all those lines left vacant over at Verizon when their customers switched carriers.

3. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

I don't understand why the iPhone cuts into profit margins? Does Apple demand a percentage of the profit earned off of the iPhone or something? It doesn't cost anymore than $600 dollars, does it? And they can't be talking about iPhone users using more data, because they already did a study and discovered the average DX user consumes 5 times as much data as any other smartphone users (including the iPhone). So I don't really get why they have reduced profit margins during quarters where the iPhone sells heavily.

Also, I'm amazed that the i5 won't be hitting until the 3rd quarter. What I'm not amazed at, is that there is an LTE-capable iPhone in the works. Is that somehow news to anybody at all? After all Apple prides itself on staying ahead of the curve, so why would anyone think they were just going to sit back and hand Android the 4g advantage. It's just shocking to me that it won't be launching in June like it has in the past.

And I don't understand why stocks fall when they admit that. Lets say they do see a bit of a reduction in profit margin with the iPhone... so what? It sold more than any phone on launch day in history. That tells me they're not going to be falling behind AT&T anytime soon.

Is it better to make a lot of money off of a few products then a little bit less money off of a lot of products?

4. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    I just looked at a Verizon agreement and the customer is limited to 5gb per month. So perhaps you really do not have a right to get pissed because you signed the agreement and a cap is mentioned in the agreement you signed.

Also, according to their rules and TOS, you must have another way to connect to the Internet; your plan (or the copy I saw detailed) specifically says your account cannot be used as substitute or backup (their words) for Internet Service. So, if I read it correctly, your phone can't be used to access the Internet unless you also pay for Internet service somewhere else. Or you are in violation of their TOS.

Also, where are you going to go? Every company has limits and caps, as far as I can tell.

To quote Verizon, ""The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine

5. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    And another comment . . . if you are in business and hundreds of clients have your number, if you are not aware of the limits, what happens if your service is canceled? Perhaps you are warned first so you can make adjustments.

Bob

6. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None
    I'm going back to land internet and a regular phone, just like I had before this one. With blocked texts and everything but phone calls. I don't need a smartphone, I want one. That is a huge difference.
    Easy enough for me.....actually I'll save money cause our home internet is from the neighbors router via a trade agreement. Verizon will be the only one losing something they need.

7. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    OK then . . . problem solved.

Bob

8. Taylored

Taylored Android Enthusiast
    None

May 20, 2010
    IT Recruiter
    GA
    I am fairly sure that it is not actually for life. I think it ends in 2037.

9. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    Looks like they are just tiering data for iPhones...

10. Dakota - Tom

Dakota - Tom Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    MN
    Yes.
    original launch ... June 29, 2007
    3G launch ... July 11, 2008
    3GS launch ... June 19, 2009
    4 launch ... June 24, 2010

Not so much "in June" as perhaps your memory recalls. Most corporations operate on a fiscal calendar, not the actual calendar, and the chances are pretty good that 3 of those 4 launches were in fiscal July. Regardless, none were in time to materially impact fiscal 2Q financials.

You're kidding, right? They didn't support 3G until 2008. Apple never has been a leading edge company on technology. Polish and sexiness has been their mantra. It would definitely be consistent with their history for them to let others be first to market with 4G, when the market size is relatively small, and then swoop in to the ooo's and ahhh's of all the iSheep later.

11. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    Two issues at play, I think. What the salesman told you and what is buried in the boilerplate of the contract you signed. I think what you signed trumps a verbal "contract."

Then you go to court and most likely, what you are told will not matter; it is what you signed and it is fair to dismiss your case if you tell the court you did not read the contract.

Bob Maxey

12. Sailingmaster

Sailingmaster Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    It does suck. Especially if you look at the numbers. LTE makes the bandwidth cost cheaper. It's one of the primary benefits of the technology. But this is America and this country runs on corporate greed.

13. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    texas
    world ends in 2012 anyhow... that's what Verizon was banking on with that $9.99 for Life promotion that I FREAKIN missed by 5 days....

14. Anthony1970

Anthony1970 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010

LOL. Thats sucks.

15. byteware

byteware Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    Application Developer
    Alabama
    Piper Jaffray: AT&T paying Apple $18 per iPhone, per month | Apple - CNET News

Apple gets paid for the iPhone, and then gets revenue sharing payments that exceed (it is believed) the actual price of the iphone over the life of the contract.

16. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None
    Apple sux a big one

17. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    See, now that is what I look for on a forum. A well reasoned and logical reply that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. You must be proud, upholding the traditions of all public forums. A laser focused reply; a brief and to the point clarification that is off topic.

Good for you, well done I must say. Apple sux a big one. Thanks, now I'll stop buying Apple products because they sux.

Bless you.

18. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None
    You're welcome.
    You aren't gonna cry are you?

19. tsanuri

tsanuri Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Saying most corporations is not the case especially since LLC and S corporations must work on a physical year. But apple works off a fiscal year ending Sept. But ATT is on a calander year. And those are the two companies that the launches affected atleast here in the states.

20. byteware

byteware Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    Application Developer
    Alabama
    Don't misrepresent his statement...

Apple sux.. a big one/sarcasm

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

21. Dakota - Tom

Dakota - Tom Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    MN
    You misunderstand. I wasn't talking about the fiscal YEAR, but the fiscal MONTH and fiscal QUARTER.

In the USA, a fiscal quarter always contains 13 weeks, and the fiscal months follow rules such as a week structure of 4-4-5 with all fiscal months beginning on a Sunday and ending on a Saturday.

Following these rules in 2010, for example, for the company I work for, fiscal June ran from May 22 to June 25. If my company was AT&Tingular (it isn't), that would put the 2010 release of the eyephone 4 on the last business day of fiscal June, so its financial impact would be felt first (to any substantial degree) in the fiscal 3rd quarter.