1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon to charge $30 upgrade fee

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by CharlieD, Apr 11, 2012.

1. CharlieD

CharlieD Well-Known Member

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Why not just raise the phone prices by $30 then? Oh yeah, it's always more appealing to the eye to advertise a certain price but then knowingly end up at a higher price through fees. :mad:

Don't like. I would actually put this in the "shady business practice" category. Yet it's done all around the country on a daily basis by companies large and small so vzw is in good company I suppose.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

So apparently they are launching a new phone on April 21st. ;)

4. kentl901

kentl901 Well-Known Member

Is this fee those upgrading while still on contract or is this applicable to those who have completed their 24 month contract?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

5. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

Looks like anyone getting a discounted price.

6. valorian

valorian Android Expert

Is this for both online upgrades and in store upgrades?

7. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

I would assume so since it doesn't specify.

8. kentl901

kentl901 Well-Known Member

What about upgrading thru Amazon or BB?

9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

From what I have read it looks like this will apply to anytime you renew your contract so regardless of the vendor expect to pay this given you are renewing after this goes into effect.

10. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

So, we're all equally screwed. Everyone bend over and say "Thank you Verizon! May I have another?" :p

11. rm50

rm50 Well-Known Member

I had verizon I had at&t they are all the same.
    They are the 2 reasons that my credit is screwed up today
    They are both vampires that will bleed you dry and try to keep you smiling while they do it

12. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Android Expert

Apparently both AT&T and Sprint charge a $36 upgrade fee, so we should be thanking both AT&T and Sprint, because if they weren't charging it my guess is neither would Verizon.

Anyway here's the Verizon official printout regarding who pays ans when,

Additional $30 Upgrade Fee Details – When and Who Pays It, Can It Be Refunded, and Why It’s Here – Droid Life

Freedom isn't free, and neither is wireless phone service...... :)

WA_Bob likes this.
  13. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert

As a longtime Verizon Wireless customer and being anti-Apple, this isht really pisses me off. Apple has the largest amount of cash on hand of any company in the US. As someone who has not ever purchased an Apple product, am I paying into that? YES!

VZW is now charging $30 they never used to charge because of decreased profit margins. Why a decrease? Partly because of the huge subsidies VZW pays to Apply for the iPhone. This is not the first thing VZW has done like this since they got the iPhone, they also eliminated the New Every Two program.

So all you @$$(*&|e iPhone users on VZW costs *me* more so you can drink your koolaid. You all owe me a lunch.

To be fair, they should raise the price of iPhones by $30. But that's not going to happen of course.

14. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

Right now, I'm ready to upgrade our phones to the RAZR Maxx next weekend unless I hear something more definitive about the Fighter. Of course, if I hold off, the phone price for the Maxx could drop by more than $30 making it worth waiting. Even better is if something goes up for BOGO.

15. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I don't think this is due to apple or android rather the fact that more and more people are opting to not have a landline and only use cell service...the price of a landline has dropped so much there isn't much profit so companies want to make profit however they can

16. dautley

dautley Android Expert

17. dweezle

dweezle Newbie

It used to be a free every two. then it was $100 price break for re-signing into a two year contract, then $50...now we pay $30 for a phone upgrade.

Does "V for venal" really need that extra bit of our blood? Check out their profit statement.
    It seems that one possible way to protest would be a large number of Verizon customers going back to old non-data, "feature phones" for a couple of months. The loss of the $30 per month data revenue might be noticed. I'd be willing to do it, if enough others would also do it. How many people doing that would it get to have Verizon notice? It would have to be a lot. Verizon has tons of money, they might not even care.

18. dautley

dautley Android Expert

Then those grandfathered into unlimited data plans would lose them. I'm sure Verizon would love to see people do that.

19. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I don't really see it as that big of a deal...yeah another $30 every 2 years added to a contract that will cost you over $2000...If you don't like it you can always not renew the contract and stick with the phone you have, pay for your next phone without any discounts, or just go to another carrier...there are alternatives.

20. dweezle

dweezle Newbie

Yup, you're right. I hadn't thought about the grandfathered folks. I just feel generally pissed off about thinking that I "NEED" a smart phone. I got along fine for years without one. I guess Verizon will just keep up with their usual "nickel and dime" pricing increases, until they hit the point where I say, "I've had enough". I remember when they released the Moto V710 as their first phone with bluetooth. They had bluetooth file transfer crippled so I would have to pay to get a picture off my phone by messaging or email, at $0.25 a pop, rather than transfering them directly to my computer. I'm not inviting them over for Christmas dinner this year, then they'll be sorry. :mad:

dautley likes this.
  21. ghost88

ghost88 Newbie

I heard authorized retailer's wont be charging the fee.

22. rabiddawgs

rabiddawgs Well-Known Member

Is it that big of a deal really? yes they do spend more time transferring stuff. helping people on how to use it. and other general support.
    if you buy it outright or off ebay it doesnt look like you will be charged.
    for those that are mad saying they will buy iy outright so they dont have to pay the fee is just stupid imo.
    outright cost is say $599. discounted price with new contract extension is $199 or even $299.
    $229 or $329 compared to $599... now your screwing yourself out of even more money just to prove a point to VZW that you dont want to pay the $30 fee.... they will love you as they get more money from ya.

i dont like it either but the $30 is not going to stop me from getting a new phone.

**edit***
    think some of the cost too is all the people that come in look at the phones waste salespersons time and walk out with no new phone... they are just trying to recoup some of that money.

and honestly i think it might be a new spiff for the employees

23. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

I don't know about your Verizon store but the one I go to is usually pretty empty, I almost think the employees welcome some time-waster shopping. Besides, isn't that what they are there for in the first place...to allow people to oogle the new phones and get (usually incorrect) information? I don't think they are charging $30 to pay, or not pay, employees.
    I think they are charging $30 simply because they CAN and folks will pay it. You are right, it still makes more sense to buy a phone on contract...if you are willing to be on a contract. I'm honestly not sure I want to be on contract anymore. However, it won't matter on my monthly bill, still exact same either way. A conundrum indeed.
    The real grind for me is that it's called a "loyalty fee". That just rubs me the wrong way.

24. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

That's good to know!

I usually upgrade a few of my family's devices each year, so having an alternative like that could save me a few bucks.

Cheers!

25. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I'd prefer it if they would just leave me alone when I go into the store, so I can look at the phones in peace, rather than being pestered by some sales rep who knows less about what I'm looking at than I do. By the time I go to the store I've already answered most of my questions; with the remaining questions requiring some hands-on time. If I didn't know anything about the phones, the store would be the last place I'd think to go.