• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon to release Major update for S3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can go round and round on this. The bottom line is this update has a lot of problems including an app that if not handled properly can cost you extra money. Verizon hasn't done a single thing to correct any of this and as far as i know hasn't even acknowledge that there is a problem. Instead there are a lot of S3 owners out there with phones that are no longer working properly.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
People also need to be aware that even though it appears that you can uninstall the app from the app settings, the app does not get removed, only the icon. The app will still show in your application manager, even though it claims to have been removed. Disable it from the app manager, reboot your phone and then see how your data is.

Upvote 0
People have flashed the older radio/modem firmware though and its solved the problem so if thats something youre confident enough to do, do it or wait for your (really terrible sounding) carrier to push an update.
Its really a shame that carriers can push such an obviously flawed piece of code to their (over paying) customers. Makes me angry man.
If anything, i hope it makes a lot of folk take more control of that lil computer in their pocket and demand that the carriers take a LOT less control.
The pure profit these carriers make is rediculous imo. The US needs some more carriers that are happy to be "dumb pipes"
Sorry *rant* lol :beer:

Upvote 0
This seems like the obvious answer for those of us who are rooted and have the capacity to do such a thing. Others will be out of luck. Or, don't take the update.

However, I wonder if/how many people who have received the update in Verizon's entire SGS3 installed base are not having any problems?:dontknow:

That is COLD. Boo! ;)

Upvote 0
I have had a bunch of problems with the LD3 radios. Yes, that includes inability to make phone calls or keep them with any regularity. Talking to anyone, my phone cuts in and out. Data was impossible to connect to over 4G, sometimes even after a reboot. Swapping back to the old radios cleared the problem immediately.

How do you do that?

Upvote 0
You have to be rooted and the actual root process is not that simple. Too much trouble for me at least to bother with and I used to root all my devices. S3 was the first I felt no need to root, up until this release of an update.

Apathy still reigns for me, but others appear to be having worse issues. This update is IMO worthless. A year after release and they "fix" issues? More like a Trojan horse for more revenue driving bloat and to pimp the S4 features as a living ad for S3 users. That and a radio update that has hurt rather than helped.

This is an example where "Don't rock the boat" is very apt. No way they would blow dev money on a device one year old unless they expected something in return. Bloat fishing and feature pimping for Samsung.

Upvote 0
You have to be rooted and the actual root process is not that simple. Too much trouble for me at least to bother with and I used to root all my devices. S3 was the first I felt no need to root, up until this release of an update.

Apathy still reigns for me, but others appear to be having worse issues. This update is IMO worthless. A year after release and they "fix" issues? More like a Trojan horse for more revenue driving bloat and to pimp the S4 features as a living ad for S3 users. That and a radio update that has hurt rather than helped.

This is an example where "Don't rock the boat" is very apt. No way they would blow dev money on a device one year old unless they expected something in return. Bloat fishing and feature pimping for Samsung.

I could not have said it better myself. I rooted my devices before this, OG Droid (I still got that one!), the Bionic, and the Razr. But after getting the S3, I felt absolutely no need to root. It was already quick, there was tethering, and the root process after looking at it wasn't simple.

But after this update I've honestly been thinking about rooting.

Upvote 0
This did not work for me. At first I disabled the app, but later found that it was still running after each reboot. Even with it disabled my 4G is still horrible. Later I read somewhere about opening that app, and making your way through the menu you can decline and remove the app. Sorry I don't remember the exact menu selections, but it wasn't too hard to find from the app's menu. Even after removing the app my 4G is still iffy compared to before the update.

My wife has an S3 that's a few months newer than mine which I haven't updated. We were outside at my son's baseball game. I have always had great signal at this ballpark, but after the update I am showing 3G or even 1X from there. I checked my wife's phone and it had strong 4G.

Oh and I have done a factory reset on my phone to no avail.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
OK I just looked I got the new update I guess as I am now at 4.1.2 but I do not have the multi window option or the caller id app or anything else mentioned in the update release note but I do have the 3G4G next to wifi at same time. I never got the option to defer at all and never saw a download at all but I have no service all the time now and rarely have any internet 1X or nothing at all 90% of the time if I am not outside in a open space of about 5 miles in every direction.

where are all these new features located. I use the center little button and all I have task manager /google/remove all and nothing else.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones