• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon to start charging to pay your bill

Just saw this comment on the droid-life comments:

I just read it again and we can still pay for free online if we use our checking or savings accounts. They only charge for the debit and credit cards. ACH doesn't get charged. Still dumb as hell but at least there is a simple work around (at least in my case.) I only used my credit card to get points anyway. :)

Since I use a saved checking account with routing #/etc, I guess it'll remain free for me. They seem to be only charging for debit or credit charging.

Upvote 0
It's only if you pay with your debit card or credit card. There was nothing said about using your checking account. I always pay by my checking so the fees won't effect me at all. Unless Verizon decide to add that also.

The reason they're charging the fee for paying with credit and debit cards is because the banks charge them a fee when they take a payment via those methods. The banks don't charge Verizon a fee when you pay online via your checking account.

Upvote 0
I don't see this as that big of a deal. I mean, you can still pay with credit card as long as it's with the auto pay feature (that's what I do for credit card rewards). Even if they did it for that, I'd just go back to using my bank's bill pay service which is ACH debit. As long as you practice financial responsibility, not really an impact.

Upvote 0
Just saw this comment on the droid-life comments:

Since I use a saved checking account with routing #/etc, I guess it'll remain free for me. They seem to be only charging for debit or credit charging.

Not entirely true. You can still use your credit card to pay your bill as long as it's set up for autopay. It's the one-time payment method that will charge you the convenience fee if you use debit or credit.

Which is stupid as you can still use a card in-store to pay your bill.

How is that any different?

Are you positive they won't start charging a convenience fee on that, too?

Upvote 0
Yeah - I'm sure it was someone's great idea, but they'll learn the hard way. ;)

I think VZ is getting more and more arrogant, they think they're the only game in town, just like how Netflix used to think of themselves and see how well that turned out. And just like what the banks were trying to do with charging people for using their debit cards - that didn't turn out so well either. I hope VZ would learn from those other companies.

And another thing, I didn't see them give me credit for switching to online billing only and saving them money by not having to print out my bill and mailing it to me. I'm going to switch it back so they'll have to send me the hard copy of bill.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones