1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Verizon to T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RangerPivot, Jun 21, 2016.

1. RangerPivot

RangerPivot Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Probably the wrong forum... but has anyone taken their note5 from verizon to t-mobile? T-Mobile's online compatibility test doesn't list the 5, but they sell it.
    And would I have to do a factory reset on the device if I switched carriers?

Advertisement

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    You'll get limited compatibility:
    www.willmyphonework.net

No factory reset is required.
    Your phone should work just fine on T-Mobile, provided all obligations to VZW that are tied to the phone have been met/are current.
    Just drop in the SIM Card & set up the APN for T-Mobile.

RangerPivot likes this.
  3. RangerPivot

RangerPivot Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool. Thanks for the link as well.
    I figured I would have to do a reset since I know carriers can alter the various settings in the phone... and of course install their own software. Anyway, crossing my fingers.

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    T-Mobile will not install anything whatsoever.
    Any Carrier apps are pre-installed in the O/S,changing service providers will not alter the O/S or prompt installation of Carrier apps.

As for settings,you'll need to manually change the APN for T-Mobile's network.
    If this were a SIM-Free phone (Unlocked/no carrier affiliation),you wouldn't even need to do that,just drop in a SIM Card & roll along,the phone would work automatically.

5. RangerPivot

RangerPivot Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Not to belabor the question too much... but say Verizon has updated to M, and T-Mobile is still on L, how could my updates come through correctly if I wasn't on the TM variant from the get-go? I thought all updates came through the carrier...

6. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Good question,here's my experience:
    AT&T is notorious for having to have an AT&T SIM Card in order to get updates.
    My T-Mobile devices get updates pushed from T-Mobile regardless of SIM Card/service provider.
    As for Verizon devices,IDK,hopefully someone else will chime in.

If you're curious as to if T-Mobile will/can push updates to your VZW Note 5,no,that,unfortunately,will not happen.

It sux for updates with US Carriers,as the phones they sell usually the updates need their "touch" & are ultimately pushed by them,to their specific phones only.
    The majority of the free world gets updates direct from the mfg,which is always timelier vs what we're subjected to in the States.

The best remedy for that:
    1) Buy carrier-free devices that are compatible with your service provider,or...
    2) Get a Nexus device,which typically are carrier-free & get the absolute fastest updates from Google.

7. RangerPivot

RangerPivot Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Went by T-Mobile today. They plopped in a sim and the phone "works," but she made a point of saying that it may not work great. I asked her to elaborate but she couldn't give specifics. So I can't tell if they are just pushing me to buy new phones from them or if there really could be some performance issues.
    T-Mobile offers more features for the price but the cost for 2 lines is almost identical to Verizon. I owe a total of $800 on 2 Verizon note5s but it would cost me $1420 for new phones from TM. So I'm effectively out of pocket $600 to switch if I can't reliably port these phones over.

8. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    She is correct,the phone will work,but,as the link I posted earlier states,it's not the best match,not all bands are supported,so YMWV depending on what T-Mobile bands are available in your service area.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 was released in August of 2015 and was the company's flagship phablet for the year. The device features a 5.66-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 16MP main camera.