1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon to throttle the top five percent of data users.

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by colornshape, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. colornshape

    colornshape Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    They say nothing about restricting the amount, just the speed. I sure hope they're working to update their network to accommodate all their customers. Clearly, Verizon under engineered their current system -- otherwise they wouldn't have to reduce the value of their product like this.

    Who here would pay a premium for the data plan you thought you were committing to when you signed your contract? I guess I would, though I'd be a bit grumpy.

    http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/02/03/verizon-to-throttle-heavy-users-to-maintain-network-quality/

    Matt
     



    1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!


      Download

       
  2. kyler13

    kyler13 Android Expert

    Be clear that this is an and condition.

    It remains to be seen what they will define as extraordinary. I would hope that even upwards of 5GB wouldn't be defined as such, but who knows. For the time being, it's not a terrible move if they're targeting folks going over the much rumored 5GB soft cap and it helps to enhance the network quality. I'd still rather pay $30/month for "unlimited" data from Verizon than save $5 over at AT&T for 2GB/month with overage charges. This move by Verizon doesn't reek of desperation like AT&T's.
     
  3. colornshape

    colornshape Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Agreed, but it's disappointing nevertheless. I like Verizon. My service is reliable and I like my handset. This new policy saints the picture of a company with a poorly executed model. I hoped for better from them.

    Also, if it's not everyone in the top five, why use that number? Why not one, or three? I suppose they're trying to reassure their favored customers who use very little data. Still.

    Here's my hope, and it's way out there. Verizon plans to crush that other carrier by announcing they will never cap their data plans, or abandon the thirty dollar unlimited data plan, but to do that, they need to temporarily reduce network capacity to bring a more modern network online. This throttling scheme would perhaps maintain the expected performance for most users.

    Also, I hope Kelly Clarkson is waiting for me when I get home.

    Matt
     
  4. nj02vette

    nj02vette Android Expert

    Verizon doesn't want to fall into AT&T's trap, where their network fell apart. Even now, AT&T can't keep up. Reliability is what Verizon sells, without that, they are just an overpriced carrier. Reputation can take years to develope, but can fall apart in days.




    And Kelly won't be waiting for you. She's doing a threeway with me and Megan Fox right now. :D
     
  5. colornshape

    colornshape Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    I'm going to assume you're a girl and smile for about an hour.

    Matt
     
  6. SupraLance

    SupraLance Well-Known Member

    top 5% means 1 of every 20 which is millions of people and probably includes the most active half of members here. I have already seen one attempt at blocking Verizon's ability to throttle with custom software on the phone, but wonder if this approach can work or if the throttling is on the sending end rather than receiving?
     
  7. pool_shark

    pool_shark Android Expert

    The article I read said it will affect 1.1 million customers.

    It also said that T-mobile does the same thing and AT&T just dumped unlimited plans altogether.

    Supposedly most customers use an average of only 73MB per month so most customers won't notice a difference.
     
  8. bcltoys

    bcltoys Android Enthusiast

    I use about 3 gigs a month
    wonder how that will stack up.
     
  9. IOWA

    IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

    Well. Verizon just killed any chance o taking my two lines
     
  10. colornshape

    colornshape Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    This is probably just a temporary measure while they upgrade their network. Don't condemn yourself to an inferior network lurk because of this.

    Matt
     
  11. IOWA

    IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

    Lol sprint works just fine in Chicago. I was just interested in LTE but if they are going to throttle me there is no point
     
  12. colornshape

    colornshape Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Everything works in Chicago, but Verizon works everywhere.

    There's a bumper sticker.

    Matt
     
  13. IOWA

    IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

    Sprint roams on Verizon(for free). I was going to switch strictly for the LTE.

    fyi, tmo and att STILL suck in Chicago.. lol.
     
  14. butthead007

    butthead007 Well-Known Member

    Good. Those in the top 5% make the other 95% suffer. Tragedy of the commons. Look it up. Learn it.
     
  15. copestag

    copestag Android Expert

    everyones all of a sudden outraged and acting like this is new.......... they have been throttling with a soft cap of 5Gb since they started the unlimited ........ everybody knows this.......... do you not think the top 5% of exceed 5Gb???

    this is not a change in policy at all........ they are simply putting the policy on paper because they are about to get millions of new unlimited data plan customers thanks to the iCrap4
     
  16. IOWA

    IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

    Not yet. LTE will change that IMO
     
  17. PSkeptic

    PSkeptic Android Expert

    And, by putting in on paper, they are changing the terms of you contract...

    It is nice for those who want to try and get from under their contracts.
     
  18. Dakota - Tom

    Dakota - Tom Well-Known Member

    Are you sure about that? I didn't think the data plans were part of the contract.
     
  19. PSkeptic

    PSkeptic Android Expert

    Sure they are: You signed for a certain level of service, and they are now changing the terms.

    Now, IANAL and all that, but if they send out a letter to you with this information telling you it is new, I can almost guarantee the letter will say,"Continuing to use the service constitutes acceptance of these terms".

    If it does, then they've changed the contract on you.
     
  20. SupraLance

    SupraLance Well-Known Member

    The current cutoff to be in the top 5% is only 2GB. Like I stated earlier, 1 in every 20 people, and I'm betting over 1/2 of the root community. For every 1 of us there are at least 10 users who don't even know what all their phone can do and use it maybe 15 minutes a day when not on wifi.

    Good news is the Iphone and LTE phones will gradually raise that 5% ceiling, and hopefully it will get pushed back up to 5GB or even higher. But not if more people get wifi at home to avoid being throttled. Unfortunately, Verizon 3G is the fastest internet available to those living rurally around here, so home wifi is slower for me.
     
  21. copestag

    copestag Android Expert

    actually no place on any contract for any broadband service of any type I have ever seen has any minimum speed .... your contract says you get unlimited data..... and you will still get unlimited data as you always have under your contract....... they are simply reminding people of their CURRENT policy thats ALREADY in place of throttling speeds.......

    so you will still get what you are contracted to receive...... unlimited data....... it just may be throttled to 1kbps :D


    not that I doubt the numbers but Id love to see a source on this....... considering it takes very little use to reach that 5Gb mark

    yes I would agree that the vast majority of people would never get near the 5Gb mark.. Id be willing to bet 95% dont :D but Id bet the other 5% do easily every month
     
  22. Outlaw71

    Outlaw71 Android Expert

    Well 20 days into my 31 day cycle and I'm sitting at 3.4 gigs used. I guess I can assume I'm being throttled.
     
  23. kyler13

    kyler13 Android Expert

    But the vast majority of Sprint's roaming on Verizon's network is only available at paltry 1xRTT speeds. 3G roaming is VERY limited for Sprint. Deal breaker.
     
  24. pool_shark

    pool_shark Android Expert

    My billing cycle ends on the 12th, and the current estimate for me is 1.5GB.
     
  25. IOWA

    IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

    Actually no its the other way around, becuase the vast majority of Verizon's network came from alltel, which sprint is allowed to use 3g on per FCC stipulation.
     
Loading...
Similar Threads - Verizon throttle top
  1. persistentone
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    461
  2. Hannibal 99
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    254
  3. persistentone
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    537
  4. LuckyBit33
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,024
  5. Clint w
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    856
  6. ZepTepi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    809
  7. ZepTepi
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,004
  8. ZepTepi
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,971
  9. The_Chief
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,919
  10. thaKing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    743

Share This Page

Loading...