• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon told me NO 2.2 EVER for FASCINATE!

interesting ;)

i think it would be kind of ridiculous for the mesmorize to release froyo first (i think thats scheduled for march)
Hmmm...Samsung doing something ridiculous...yeah that'll never happen...that'd be like the Acclaim getting Froyo before us...:rolleyes:

If it wasnt for that hardware and the non-locked down-ness [just made that term up now]

Upvote 0
Hmmm...Samsung doing something ridiculous...yeah that'll never happen...that'd be like the Acclaim getting Froyo before us...:rolleyes:

If it wasnt for that hardware and the non-locked down-ness [just made that term up now]

yeah the rather uninspiring acclaim (no offense to those who have it/use it...just relative to the galaxy s phones) is one issue

but the mesmorize is a knock off of the fascinate...so it d be akin to the little brother beating you in basketball....just aint right :eek:

but then again...many things samsung/verizon seem to do "aint right"

Upvote 0
Hate to throw the Iphone in here....but this is one reason Apple does it right.....they make one phone and one phone only.....they aren't like Samsung that makes a gazillion different models for all carriers.

Samsung doesn't spend the time or resources to make each one matter and run awesome....Apple does.

Now I know Apple isn't as customizable...but everything is a trade off. I believe there basic hardware and software to be superior and Apple continually updates their software

I can't get a Verizon Iphone for a while because I'm still under contract with the existing Fascinate.....I want to love this phone...but it has been hard.....never had to dick with Iphone when I was with AT&T.

Quick question: I'm a new smart phone user... my old phone was upgraded every 2 years, is it the same with these smart phones? I don't want to have this phone anymore...

Upvote 0
That makes no sense. It's like having a car company make ONE model car and forcing the end user to adapt to it's short comings for their individual needs. Variety is the spice of life and the more phones we have to choose from the better.

Hate to throw the Iphone in here....but this is one reason Apple does it right.....they make one phone and one phone only.....they aren't like Samsung that makes a gazillion different models for all carriers.

Well, you are both right and wrong... True a user needs variety, but instead of updating a phone that has the capable hardware, Samsung chooses to release another phone with slightly better specs and the newest software. If Apple took on that persona, they'd be at iPhone 40 by now.

Upvote 0
I just keep kicking myself for not going with the droid x lol I might have to end up rooting this thing after all

It's funny, I played with the X and Fascinate for quite a while in the store prior to buying the Fascinate (Droid 2 for a short time).

The Fascinate won because it seemed a near perfect upgrade/transition from my Eris (minus the trackball), form factor wise, etc.

The X still looks great to me, though.

Upvote 0
It's funny, I played with the X and Fascinate for quite a while in the store prior to buying the Fascinate (Droid 2 for a short time).

The Fascinate won because it seemed a near perfect upgrade/transition from my Eris (minus the trackball), form factor wise, etc.

The X still looks great to me, though.

yeah the x was a good phone...just again my thoughts on motorola lead me to ditch it :)

Upvote 0
Well I was already running 2.2 on my droid but contract was up so I had to get a new phone :cool: I liked both the X and the Fascinate but I went with the Fascinate because it fit in my pocket better and I was assured by the rep that 2.2 was "on it's way soon!" lol My bad for believing, but this is gonna be the last samsung phone i ever buy

Upvote 0
Well I was already running 2.2 on my droid but contract was up so I had to get a new phone :cool: I liked both the X and the Fascinate but I went with the Fascinate because it fit in my pocket better and I was assured by the rep that 2.2 was "on it's way soon!" lol My bad for believing, but this is gonna be the last samsung phone i ever buy

im sure you wont be the only person who avoids samsung after this :eek:

Upvote 0
FYI - I told the rep that Verizon is pretty much forcing us to root our phones so we can get full FLASH support.

He said "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you say ROOT, NEVER MENTION ROOT TO A VERIZON REP" I got a good laugh out of it.

I was on the phone with a VZW level 3 support tech after the DL09/Mac debacle....

He actually SUGGESTED that I root, and that if I did and installed a Froyo build, that would fix the Mac problem. When I explained to him that because I had SO much trouble with this phone, I was afraid to root it and void the warranty, he said "Oh, they never check that".

Upvote 0
I was on the phone with a VZW level 3 support tech after the DL09/Mac debacle....

He actually SUGGESTED that I root, and that if I did and installed a Froyo build, that would fix the Mac problem. When I explained to him that because I had SO much trouble with this phone, I was afraid to root it and void the warranty, he said "Oh, they never check that".

Lol. It really depends on the person you talk to and how experienced they take you for. When I buy news phones and talk to the sales people they never get uptight about mentioning rooting and have admitted to doing it themselves as well.

And as for warranty, if you ever have to send it in, all you have to do it roll everything back to stock; and if it breaks to the point it wont turn on, they just mark it as DOA when they get it.

Upvote 0

Kinda weird that they would suggest that....but regardless there isn't a totally usable froyo build to flash yet anyway

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones