• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] TowelRoot works on latest OTA VZW 4.4.2 !!!

Here is the link to the latest: SuperSU Download

You can download it via "Unknown Sources" the APK is in the "Common" folder

EDIT: Before anyone uses this I think we should kind of have a test of it, I know that we have people willing to test it out, I just don't know if it's trustworthy at this point.

installs, like the one from play store, and still fails when SU attempts to update.

my "root only" apps will work, and SU will ask for permission for such apps.

???

Not sure if there are any real drawbacks?
I am rooted, and debloated, and that is all I really need.
I am sure a simple fix is just down the line.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Reactions: Droidviews
Upvote 0
that's what i tried as well. Wonder if the Vroot SU that i can't seem to find to uninstall could be causing a problem.

To get rid of that follow these steps in my rooting guide....

To install SuperSU, just put the file into your device directory from your computer and then your phone will unzip it when you click on it, go into MyFiles and install it, (enable unknown sources), then it will install, and follow the steps until the end.

Step 12: Install SuperSU the same way that you got to install Safestrap, now once installed it will ask you to update Binaries, say continue, then it will ask via Normal or TWRP/CWM, say Normal...It will try and disable the other SuperSU too, and fail, and it will disable Knox...sure...

Step 13: Go into Chainfire's SuperSU > Settings > scroll to the bottom and click the "Switch Superuser App", it will promptly uninstall itself.

Step 14: Reboot and at this point Safestrap should be enabled and boot into Recovery when you see the Crazy little robot guy

Step 15: From here install SuperSU again and reboot. When the phone reboots the Chinese version of SuperSU should be gone with just Chainfire's version

Upvote 0
was rooted on 4.3 with vroot. OTA went through while i was asleep (yes still have apps frozen and turned off can't get back on) Lost root and on 4.4.2 -

That's really weird because I never even got prompted for an OTA.

Well then yeah you're only option is to use Towelroot then. Pretty sure VRoot and Kingo don't work on 4.4.2 (yet).

Have you tried installing SuperSU via Safestrap though?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones