1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[Verizon] undervolting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rulzo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Rulzo

Rulzo Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    So far I've only undervolted the Max clock speed I've got it down to 800 and have run stress testing through set CPU. It seems to be stable but I feel like that is pretty low voltage. I ran it for 30 min and it never hung up or froze. Is there a better way to test for stabability?

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Undervolting is a trial and error. Usually when you find something that works well for you it will work with most kernels given you use the same governor. Also from what I understand it is possible to have a working phone undervolted too much where it still functions but has an adverse affect on battery so that may be something to look out for ;)

3. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm hearing some weird things about Uv. Not sure if it reports or functions correctly.

4. Rulzo

Rulzo Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    adverse affect you say? thats strange well i picked a bunch of random voltages for my phone and will let it run overnight

5. jaydotelloh

jaydotelloh Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Mech. Engineer
    Buffalo, NY
    So, I'm a little new to the Undervolting game here. I've been playing around with setcpu voltage settings but I'm not exactly sure if it is working or not. Like to OP, I've brought down the max slot to ~800 mV and notice absolutely no lag or ill-performance. Is this normal? As long as i dont check "set at boot" i should be good to screw around some more right?

Also, can't find the stress test on this new setcpu version. I had it on the older versions but cant seem to find it here...

EDIT: I decided to run a little experiment with Voltages. My current set up is:

1200Mhz - 200mV
    920Mhz - 190mV
    700Mhz - 150mV
    350Mhz - 125mV

we will see how long until i notice ill-effects.

BTW, I'm on Leankernel v 1.1.0 w/ AOKP build 13

EDIT2: LOL, I'm an idiot! After screwing around alittle more, i set all my voltages to 0 to see what would happen.... Nothing... i look around for a little more info and it seems undervolting was not working on v1.1.0 of leankernel.

Will be flashing 1.3 after i make a backup.

6. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL!! Yea UV is a little hit or miss right now on these new kernels. From what Imosayon is saying it has to do with the new software that TI is using on these chips. When you do UV he has suggested that you do so one speed at a time. For instance set up SetCPU to run at only 1200MhZ (setting both sliders to that number), then go in and set your voltage. Test it out for a bit, then move on to your next step down on the speed scale. Repete this until you have a good stable voltage for each speed step.

Remember UV is going to be a very hands on and experimental process for each one of our phones, since they are all going to respond differently. I would also suggest that you look into how to boot into safemode in SetCPU (there should be a menu for it in the Info tab), it will allow you to boot the phone if you loop because of a bad setting with Set on Boot on.

Good luck and have fun. :D

7. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Couldn't you just boot another kernel from recovery that doesn't use voltages, i.e. a stock one?

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

Yeah that is what I have heard. I personally don't bother with UV too much time involved for minimal gain IMO. Kernel devs play with it and set the voltage how they like on their kernels I figure if it is good enough for them its good enough for me. I may be missing out on an extra hour of battery life or something but oh well.

9. jaydotelloh

jaydotelloh Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Mech. Engineer
    Buffalo, NY
    Yea, I'm seeing now it's a little tricky to dial in on what is stable. Ive have quote a few reboots, but haven't had anything set at boot yet so I've been good.

I made certain to have a "stock" kernel on my phone just in case I ever messed it up bad. I made a backup, but restoring backups is annoying because you lose everything you added in the meantime..

Tags: