1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon Unlock Code for UK Travel

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dmgoffe, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dmgoffe

dmgoffe Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Hello.

I'm traveling to the UK later this month, and want to find out about unlocking a Verizon smartphone, so that I can install a UK 3G sim card when I get there. Other than that, not much.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums!

Unless you have a world phone from Verizon (with a sim slot) I don't think you'd have much luck using the Verizon Phone. Verizon uses a CDMA network and pretty much the rest of the world is GSM.

3. dmgoffe

dmgoffe Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Ah, yes, I do have an HTC Incredible 2 Global, with a SIM card slot. It has a Verizon SIM card, which my intention is to swap out for an Orange 3G SIM at a phone shop in London. I've read the forum discussing which Incredible 2 screens (Settings:Security) to go to. Unclear if I do that with the Verizon SIM card in (seems odd) or wait till I can insert the Orange card to do the unlock deed. Also, I know I have to switch to GSM and then for data, to look up and enter APN info, as found from an internet search. My local Verizon guy is looking forward to me doing all this (successfully) so that I can report back to him before his UK trip in the fall.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If you have the codes, then it should prompt you for them when you insert a new sim. At least that's the way it works for single sim locked phones. You might want to verify that with your Verizon guy. I would think that if you are buying the Orange sim from a shop, the shop could give you the APN settings, if the phone doesn't detect them.