• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Upgrade Policy

neil154

Android Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2011
Charlottesville, VA
I will be eligible for a Verizon upgrade in a few months but I want to keep my unlimited data plan. My wife will not be eligible for an upgrade but in previous times I was able to "give my upgrade" to my wife.

So if I give my wife my upgrade and she gets a new phone will I still have unlimited data? If yes, could I then swap phones with her after her upgrade?

Indeed I have. I'm clinging to my unlimited plan for as long as I possibly can. When Verizon makes the switch to VoLTE(Voice over LTE) service near the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014, speculation is that voice minutes will count as data, similar to how talking over skype does. If that's the case, having unlimited data will be HUGE. Even more so if data rates go up in the next year.

Upvote 0
They very well might, but terminating it while under contract voids it, which will allow me to walk away from them without paying and ETF. One line of mine is good until dec of 2013, the other is good until june of 2014. If they do terminate them, I leave them for the GSM world. No more closed CDMA network holding back updates, dictating their will on apps(tethering, google wallet), and the monthly mugging will come down significantly.

Upvote 0
Sprint is also cdma, but T-Mobile is GSM and has unlimited/unthrottled data as well as of this past September. I'll probably go there to try it out off contract with the latest Nexus phone at the time, and if it doesn't work out I can take my phone to AT&T. I know the end of unlimited is coming eventually though, which is unfortunate. Just going to enjoy it while I can.

Upvote 0
Indeed I have. I'm clinging to my unlimited plan for as long as I possibly can. When Verizon makes the switch to VoLTE(Voice over LTE) service near the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014, speculation is that voice minutes will count as data, similar to how talking over skype does. If that's the case, having unlimited data will be HUGE. Even more so if data rates go up in the next year.

When VoLTE becomes real, that is going to open another can of worms. A little of what I've read, VoLTE will cut battery life in half. If voice and data become the same, there will be a whole new pricing structure and a lot of confusion for the consumer.

Upvote 0
When VoLTE becomes real, that is going to open another can of worms. A little of what I've read, VoLTE will cut battery life in half. If voice and data become the same, there will be a whole new pricing structure and a lot of confusion for the consumer.

There experiment that was reported was a little flawed, because they were using dual-radios phones similar to the first gen LTE phones instead of built in single radios/processor chips that you find in the iPhone 5, and other modern Androids. There is no doubt though that it will eat up more battery juice because LTE does use more juice than standard CDMA at this point in time. This is even more true if in a poor signal area.

Upvote 0
if Verizon is still offering unlimited data on existing contracts when my contract ends I maybe getting my next phone off of craigslist rather than upgrading through Verizon, and thus able to keep my unlimited data since I didn't upgrade my phone through them - like it is now.

I am guessing, however, that fairly soon all new contracts will have limited data whether you upgrade your phone or not.

Upvote 0
if Verizon is still offering unlimited data on existing contracts when my contract ends I maybe getting my next phone off of craigslist rather than upgrading through Verizon, and thus able to keep my unlimited data since I didn't upgrade my phone through them - like it is now.

I am guessing, however, that fairly soon all new contracts will have limited data whether you upgrade your phone or not.

As of June 28th of this past year, any new contract comes with limited data. However, buying your phone on craigslist is not considered to be upgrading in Verizon's eyes because they didn't have to subsidize part of the cost. Therefore, you would not be getting a new contract and thus be able to keep your unlimited data. If your contract runs up, it is not automatically renewed and you will be on month-to-month postpaid. You will stay on that until you either upgrade, or terminate your service.

The gray area is that once your contract runs up, Verizon has every right to automatically switch your data over to a limited data plan with no penalty. Of course, you also have the right to terminate your service and leave them without penalty at that point as well. Also, if Verizon ever switches you over to limited data while your contract is still active, you have 30 days from the day they do it to void your contract. If you don't, they get away with it and you remain stuck. If you do void it, you automatically go to month-to-month as if your contract had normally expired.

Upvote 0
neil154, I was in your exact situation last Summer. I was due for an upgrade with an unlimited data plan, my wife had a limited data plan. We went in to the Verizon store, I transferred my upgrade to her and we purchased and activated a Galaxy S3 on her line. Then the Verizon person immediately swapped my Incredible 2 for her new Galaxy S3 and my unlimited planned stayed intact. Granted my wife didn't care that she was getting my hand-me-down.

This wasn't a one time thing or a mistake, I had gone into that store and asked a different salesperson if we could do that a few days earlier, and called Verizon just to make sure.

Upvote 0
to keep the unlimited data you must pay full retail and not a discounted price for a new phone. Also on the data programs there can be no employee discount applied to the new data plans so if you are getting a employee discount because of you jobs phone service is verizon you will no longer be able to get the discount after the upgrade. Lost a 20% discount and was never informed about it till it was to late.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones