1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon Upgrade Quesiton

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jfoey22, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jfoey22

jfoey22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey All,

I have a question. I am interested in getting a Xoom but wonder if I can use my upgrade to get it. My early upgrade date is Feb. 28th. So can I switch my service from a phone to a Tab? I have a work phone so I would like to reduce down to 1 phone and one tab, vs. 2 phones.

Advertisement

2. VZW RSR

VZW RSR Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    Retail Sales Rep
    Normally this is possible. There is a $20 fee for early upgrades. Its also possible you'll have to rework your voice plan if the phone you are upgrading to the tablet is part of a family share plan.

There is a chance this new product will have new limitations on how it can be activated, but with current devices, what you want to do is possible.

jfoey22 likes this.
  3. scottaboshia

scottaboshia Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Web Developer
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hard to say. You probably won't have it quite your way. The price you're paying for your phone on a monthly basis is considerably more than a data only plan for a tablet would be.

You may be able to work something out if you up your data plan to something comparable to what you're paying for your phone, but I'm going to guess no in this case.

4. jfoey22

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the info. I have another question for you, appears you might work for VZW. I am not sure if you are familiar with Google Voice or not but this same phone that I am looking at upgrading, I would like to keep that number. So, I would like port my number (it is still under contract) to Google Voice. Do you know if that is possible? I would assume the Tab would have a number assigned to it. Could they just change my number, freeing up my current number and assign the new number to my tab?

5. VZW RSR

VZW RSR Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    Retail Sales Rep
    No, the contract you have, and that you are considering upgrading/renewing, is for the number, not any device. So if you port out that number to google voice, you will be disconnecting it with Verizon and face an early termination fee. If you do the upgrade, the number you have will simply move from your phone to the tablet.

6. jfoey22

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ok, so VZW will not allow you to change your number while under contract? Not taking anything else into consideration, I would have thought you could call Vzw up and they would swap the number for you. Guess not?

7. VZW RSR

VZW RSR Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    Retail Sales Rep
    You can change your number, say you move to a new area code, or perhaps you are getting harassing calls. But if you change numbers, you immediately lose the old number, you won't be able to port it out. I realize this is bad news in your situation, sorry.

8. jfoey22

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ok, I know this is getting crazy here but what about this. What if I add another line to my account. Off contract. Move my current number to the phone that is off contract (I have a spare Blackberry laying around). So I get a new number on the line I want to upgrade to the Xoom. My old number is now on a new line off contract. Upgrade to the Xoom, port my number off to GV?

9. mueron2000

mueron2000 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    Wait, so I have to be eligible for an upgrade to get this at the subsidized price? It's not a phone line so I don't see why this would be the case.

10. parrotheadmjb

parrotheadmjb Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Your phone number doesn't have to be, and it if it is it doesn't matter. You're signing a new two-year contract for DATA service if you get it at the subsidized price, this is the only time I have seen Verizon offer a contract on something that was data only, so ever contract that they sign should be new.