• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] USB will only charge PLEASE HELP

:thinking: Okay, im pretty new to this whole forum thing, but I have done some reading so i'm pretty sure the reason WHY my phone only charges when i plug it into my computer. I have my FAST CHARGE ENABLED, but, What i cant find are any STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS, for those of us that don't speak your language fluently, how to disable it. If anyone could please private message me or reply to this because i am trying to root my phone and i cant do anything until this is done. Also, everyone else has been putting all of their info so i have a SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS
RUNNING 4.2.2
I HAVE BOUGHT NEW USB CORDS
TRIED ON BOTH MAC AND P.C
SWITCHED PORTS \
AND DOWNLOADED NECESSARY DRIVERS AND OR PROGRAMS NEEDED FOR BOTH COMPUTERS AND HAVE FACTORY RESET MULTIPLE TIMES
and TURNED ON DEVELOPERS OPTIONS AND ENABLED USB DEBUGGING

PLEASE HELP!! This is driving me crazy:thinking::thinking:

Hi Fallon and welcome to Android Forums!

As far as fast charge goes, it depends on how your ROM is set up. Should be a toggle option for fast charge that you can toggle on and off. Make sure the Fast Charge toggle is enabled; then pull down the notification bar, select your toggles and turn it off. Let us know what you're running.

Also make sure you're using (and purchased) USB DATA cables, not USB CHARGING cables. There is a new - and hopefully brief - flirtation with selling USB cables that only charge... the data conductors inside them aren't even connected.

I had that problem myself and was going crazy wondering why I couldn't transfer data: until I tried a new data cable and voila! It worked! So now my charging cables are plugged into the wall... the data cable stays in the computer.

Give that a thought, try a known DATA cable and let us know if that works. If not, we'll try something else.

It's great to have you here :)

Upvote 0
The_Chief is spot on on this. Also sometimes a usb wire will receive just enough damage to still charge the phone, but lose the ability to xfer data. I have had this problem many times due to me and sometimes the kids. Grand daughter was using one as a lasso for her rocking horse. By the time I noticed...too late, but it still charged my phone!
try a different data wire, bet you'll be ok!
Welcome to the forums, and good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones