1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verizon Users: Moto X Feedback

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zetroc, Sep 3, 2013.

1. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

that is very odd, my plan with 2 phones currently is about 150+

with the share everything it sits at 130+
    these are with a 22% discount

Advertisement

2. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast

With all respect, people are looking to upgrade after reaching the end of their two year contracts, and almost exactly two years ago, the GNex was the hot phone released on all carriers, including our beloved Verizon (I think it was a good device, for its time, especially GSM ones). It's not a shock at all that with the timing of the Moto X, that people who purchased the GNex would be looking at it. You're talking about a large group of power users and Android enthusiasts, after all, who wanted a more stock experience. So these are likely more dedicated fans who've looked at the competition and made informed decisions, but still need that real-world feedback to reinforce that decision. Otherwise, it would only make sense that more recent phones, like the HTC One and S4, have a smaller tech gap between them and the Moto X, simply by virtue of when they were released.

Just as well, the reverse can also be true of what you've said, in that when comparing the Moto X to current top Android devices, we can also question what the big deal is. In fact, many people try to defend their purchases, so for all we know, that could be the motivation behind their dismissal of any competing device, especially the new kid on the block. Who knows? So I'd say for the most part, we're all pretty honest about what we're experiencing, and while perspective is important, we do have the necessary objective details to balance out some of the sticker shock and "mid-range" talk which took place, before.

EarlyMon likes this.
  3. drhill

drhill Android Expert

You don't get to pick your phone on Verizon. You pick the phone Verizon lets you. Being controlled and have the privilege to pay them for it while getting so-so service isn't a great feeling.

4. drhill

drhill Android Expert

My plan (750 minutes with texting disabled [Google Voice]) is about $123 with 2 lines of unlimited. The price isn't bad at all, it's the service that isn't good.

5. drhill

drhill Android Expert

I never used to use wifi at work but Verizon has spiraled down the crapper the last 7 months. Two of which were at my old job where I used to get an unbelievable amazing signal, but one day they played with the towers and I (and everyone else) couldn't even get a 3g signal. My new job we don't get any data connection either.

My wife and I maxed out at 11GB once. Not sure how she got 5-6GB. I was at my old job with an hour commute and must have downloaded a lot of roms that month (a practice I want to stop all together, Nexus!).

The last few months we have been in the 5-6 GB range. We don't spend a lot now for Verizon ($123 with a 20% discount for two unlimited data lines) so it isn't about saving money. AT&T would be $30 - $60 more per month for 10 or 15GB but I'm pretty sure the signal would be better from what I remember having AT&T years ago. Right now I get a horrible signal in my home and work with Verizon. Spotty to good coverage everywhere else. I live 15 minutes from Philly in southern NJ. T-Mobile I've heard mixed reviews on.

I will say I have a concern about losing unlimited data though. The security of it is great.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Unlimited data is carrier blackmail.

Sorry to be blunt but that's the truth of it as far as I can tell.

I haven't wanted to tinker with my Sprint unlimited, you all are saying the same thing for Verizon and the other carriers' users are trying to deal with it as well.

Unlimited used to be an incentive to switch or upgrade.

Remember?

And the service was promised because the bandwidth was promised.

No longer true.

Now it's blackmail - imo, we're being treated like surfs of the manor.

Destined to stay in our place with what we're given and being ruled by the clever marketing fear of leaving the estate.

I think it's all getting completely medieval.

None of us here are made out of money and times are tough (when are they not) so of course it makes sense to get the best bang for your buck.

But am I the only one who thinks that this is all becoming a predatory business practice?

Anyway - let's start a new topic if we must.

People googling are looking for Verizon Moto X facts - contracts are related but they aren't the phone.

Probably the best place would be the Verizon forum for this tangent. ;) :)

7. VoidedSaint

the security of unlimited data is great for everyone.

sucks to hear about your signal issues, trophynuts had some issues with it as well and i dont know if verizon ever did anything for him.

8. Funnyusername

Funnyusername Android Enthusiast

All I am saying is this. If I was coming to this forum to read reviews about the phone, its important to remember where the reviewer is coming from. Because talking about the battery (for example) coming from a Gnex user compared to another (newer) phone is going to yield different results.

I was not bashing Gnex users. And yes the type of people who participate in this forum would be very likely to own that phone. Nothing wrong with that. I wanted that phone as well, it just didn't work out with my contract at the time. Also its worth mentioning that all Gnex users switch to the same phone. :p They move in packs.

Bottom line. Just a PSA about this phone. Take into account the reviewers old phone.

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Dude, if you think that the Verizon GNex users move in a pack and have all gone for the Moto X then you haven't been in the Lounge GNex Watering Hole, the prerelease thread here, or a host of others.

GNex owners have upgraded to the new Droids, the HTC One, the SGS4, the LG G2, the Note (both 2 and 3), the iPhone 5s and some have simply switched carriers to stay with the Nexus line.

And many are enjoying the Moto X.

I don't think there are a whole lot of GNex owners I've not chatted with - and I chatted with all of them in the epic GNex prerelease thread - the biggest prerelease thread in Android history, and that includes ALL forums.

GNexicans are many things but being lemmings ain't one of them! :)

Cheers! ;) :)

PS - if you think that the Moto X is limited to GNex owners by and large, again, you didn't follow the prerelease thread.

10. VoidedSaint

im with the new moto x early... whats yas gots tos says abouts mes

:)

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Rock on, ninja! :D

VoidedSaint likes this.
  12. john248

john248 Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't give up my unlimited data. I have it at $19.99/month and like the fact that Verizon doesn't throttle my data that other carriers seem to do. I could careless if I have to pay full price for a phone since it's all relatively the same amount of money or slightly more in the long run if I sell the phone every year and buy another.

Really, who cares. Don't want to pay full price and just want to pay a couple hundred at an upgraded price? Go on a different plan or switch carriers. Verizon annoys the piss out of me too with slow updates and late releases with phones, but bottom line is FOR ME, they have fantastic coverage where I am and don't throttle data which IMO should be priority for anyone aside from the price of plans/phones. Slow updates, annoying but whatever. Don't get certain phones like possibly the Nexus 5, who cares. Grass is always greener, but I can't let what to me is really unimportant bs.

Anyways, I've been going back and forth between the X, Maxx, and GN3 sections. The X look like a great phone. Actually, much to love about it as it's almost perfect. The main thing swinging me to the GN3 which was released today is its phablet size.

First world problems yo

13. VoidedSaint

i have always wondered, would you notice if vzw did throttle your data?

4G is pretty fast, but would you ever notice if they throttled you?
    i really dont know but maybe you would, maybe you wouldnt

14. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Damn Early, when did you hit 40k posts?

And VS, glad you joined the MotoXicated! .....(yeah that's terrible pun)

/incidentally i noticed if i leave my Gnex on my desk it can get like 2 days of battery. who knew?

15. VoidedSaint

well if you dont turn the screen on then yeah!

my MX(remember DX days) gets tremendous battery life.
    all day im talking 745 am - 1030-11pm and it is in between 30-45% battery life.

it's just a great phone!

and thanks packet we all come back to moto at some point :)

16. Play with ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest ... and you will get some idea.

Be aware that it transfers large amounts o data to measure it and it will eat into your data max pretty heavily.

... Thom

17. JavaS

JavaS Newbie

After having the phone a couple of days, I have to say I really like it. I do have a couple of observational questions though.

1) Does anyone else notice a strange screen transition when pressing the app drawer button? It is almost like the icons on your home screen fade before the rest of the apps pull up. I've never seen my other Android phones do anything like this before.

2) I was going to ask more, but changed my mind. I have some battery optimization questions, but I think there are already plenty of threads discussing that. I'm getting about 3 - 3 1/2 hours screentime, plus 20-30 minutes worth of phone calls. How are others getting 5 hours of screen time? Another thread :)

EarlyMon likes this.
  18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Clementine_3 and VoidedSaint like this.
  19. VoidedSaint

not that i care to use it but that was pretty sweet, good find early.

EarlyMon likes this.
  20. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Android Expert

What? I miss my old Dx 3g radios :p If I could plug them in for the gnex's 3g and strap about 3 batteries together I could wait longer for a phone :p

21. commbubba19

commbubba19 Newbie

I've noticed 2 bugs since owning the phone.

1: when WiFi is set to turn off while sleeping, and it does turn off, the battery stats still show WiFi was on the entire time.

2: when waking the phone, the status bar doesn't show correctly and will be off color.

22. gedansky

gedansky Lurker

How do you like it overall compared to the GNex? I have a Nexus I know there are newer phones with more firepower, but can't help but wonder if the overall experience will be SO dramatic that I will feel good about upgrading from an only slightly sated phone that still has some good specs and performance.

I also wonder about going from 32gb down to 16gb.

23. Booya

Booya Well-Known Member

Moto X is leaps and bounds better than the Gnex. Active notifications is a best feature on this phone. Honestly there is really no difference in experience. You will feel right at home with the Moto X.

If you do need a lot of space then you may want to get the 32gb developer edition. If you want to customize it then wait till November.

alostpacket likes this.
  24. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Indeed, the Moto X is better than the Gnex is almost every way.

- Better screen (RGB/not pentile, no banding)
    - Better radio (both faster LTE and WiFi, better at holding a signal).
    - Performance is butter smooth and blows away the Gnex. (A Nexus 4 is like this also).
    - Speed-wise the Moto X is as good as any other flagship (G2, HTC One, S4)
    - Almost stock 4.2.2
    - Hands free voice activation
    - Active notifications
    - Movement-detection wakeup -- pull your phone out of your pocket, or pick it up off a table, and it awakens to the "active notification" screen. This feature is very subtle, but so helpful
    - Better camera than Gnex, N4, about as good as the S4, HTC One, maybe not as good as the LG G2
    - Battery-wise the Moto X is roughly equal to the S4 and HTC One, not as good as the LG G2
    - Small number of carrier bloatware apps depending on the version you buy. Not that much though, much less than most carrier phones.

/These are my opinions anyways, but much of it came from reviews. Anandtech especially -- they have great, in-depth reviews.

(Oh and the S4 and HTC One cheat at benchmarks :) )

Edit: Also it's a nice small phone (smaller than the Gnex) with the same sized screen (4.7", 720x1280) and fits in your hand very nicely.

25. stevep2007

stevep2007 Lurker

After using the Moto X 2014 I wrote a review for Network World.

The Moto X 2014 powered by a bigger screen and Snapdragon 801 is a fantastic phone. The battery slightly (8 - 10%) smaller than comparable phones doesn't seem to be a problem. MAybe Active Display offsets enough battery drain to make up the difference in battery capacity.

With more powerful hardware, the Moto X 2014 was built with the same DNA as the older verision.

It has the best voice commands bar none, including Siri. It also has the least intrusive approach to notifications, that can only be improved by buying a smart watch.

The only drawback which is a problem with many Android 4.4.4 is one can't unlock the bootloader which means no no root and no ROMs. I have not found a hack to get around the locked bootloader so save time and buy the developer edition that has an unlocked bootloader..

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews