• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Verify Bootloader

biker57

Android Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2012
Covington, Ga
I'm pretty knowledgeable with the Evo's, but I'm helping my daughter(via phone and text) root her S3 and have a question. She's completed the rooting process and supposedly unlocked the bootloader, but there is a question if she completed that and I want to be sure before she tries to flash a rom. She is using TWRP 2.2 for her recovery.

Hey guys!
I cannot for the life of me, thru endless searching, find out how to verify that my bootloader is unlocked.
Also this member is wondering:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/673757-verify-bootloader.html

He, as well as I, have the Samsung Galaxy S3.
Both of us have rooted our phones with a guide that unlocks the bootloader, roots, installs custom recovery etc.

However, there is no way that I have found, that allows me to physically see that the bootloader is unlocked.

I know on my Evo 4G, I can boot into bootloader and it says it is unlocked.
But not Samsung:thinking:

The only way that I found, and it is kind of a guessing game, it to shut the phone off and reboot. If the word "Samsung" flashes on the screen real fast, your bootloader is unlocked. Or to try flashing a kernel--if it installs, your bootloader is unlocked....if it doesn't install, your bootloader is locked.
C'mon, really?

If anyone can shed more light on this, I'll buy you some bacon:p
oooo, bacon! Tempting huh? Makes ya wanna drop whatever you are doing and go searching for me;) :D

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yeah, having an actual boot loader screen is definitely the most trustworthy place to find the info :) you could try perhaps using adb and doing 'adb reboot bootloader,' and seeing if it comes up with a boot loader screen. As far as I can tell on my i9300, I only have download mode and recovery. I believe the international S3 like mine is unlocked by default.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones