• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Verizon bootloader unlock

ok....I think you need to install some sort of custom recovery after rooting so that you are able to flash roms.
Now, with the bootloader being locked, I think there is a recovery called "Safestrap"

That would put you in the same boat as this member who seems to be having issues installing safestrap recovery.
But alas, I am of little help because I have no experience with installing safestrap.:(

Reactions: ShellFM18
Upvote 0
I have seen this! But just not to sure about it.. And I have seen where they say philz recovery worked on Verizon 4.4.2 but I haven't had any luck with it.. Someone told me in XDA that if I got the phony to Root and disabled the Knox then my bootloader is unlocked.. But im not to sure about that! Bc I should be able to flash a custom recovery if it was unlocked I would think

Upvote 0
Verizon bootloader is locked up tight! If you rooted your phone your warranty is no more good anyways lol.. Safestap is the only way to come close to a custom recovey. Look at the other post on this page and you will see the link for that.. Install it then just flash the Roms just MAKE SURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP..

Reactions: ShellFM18
Upvote 0
Verizon bootloader is locked up tight! If you rooted your phone your warranty is no more good anyways lol.. Safestap is the only way to come close to a custom recovey. Look at the other post on this page and you will see the link for that.. Install it then just flash the Roms just MAKE SURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP..
But you can unroot and keep your warranty I was under the impression that you could unlock your boot loader but set knox at 0x1, but it seems I dont even have knox boot loader but I think everyone does.

Upvote 0
It want be! But it you go to the playstore and download root app remover and open it press pro and that's all your bloatwear apps that's all the apps and everything that come with your phone. You should see Knox in there! You can only delete little parts of it! But not the main part

Upvote 0
The best way to get around the bootloader is safestap.. Or I think what you can try to do is downgrade to say 4.1 or 4.0 I think Verizon didn't really lockdown the bootloader till 4.2. Then Root then you can flash clockworkmod recovery and then flash cm10 or 11 that way you will have root with a unlocked bootloader with a custom rom running android 4.4 :)) that's just my thoughts :)

Upvote 0
The best way to get around the bootloader is safestap.. Or I think what you can try to do is downgrade to say 4.1 or 4.0 I think Verizon didn't really lockdown the bootloader till 4.2. Then Root then you can flash clockworkmod recovery and then flash cm10 or 11 that way you will have root with a unlocked bootloader with a custom rom running android 4.4 :)) that's just my thoughts :)

Trying to revert to a lower version (from 4.3 or above) will more than likely brick it. At least that is what I have read/heard, so be careful before doing that;)

4.4.2 sucks wish I never updated it!! It a battery hog! I just flashed a Sprint s3 and Sprint don't lock there bootloaders :) and I flashed slim cat 4.4.4 rom it is awesome ROM thousand times better then kk 4.4.2 looks better and faster :)
There is another option that I have seen if you are willing for fork out $50.00
Samsung Galaxy S III S3 Bootloader Downgrade Service -

I have heard good things about this company fwiw :)

Upvote 0
If safestrap doesn't seem to be working then download busybox and install and then download terminal emulator and open it type "su" and you'll be granted root access then type in "setenforce 0" with the space then go into setting and look for something that says permissive then you should be good and install safestrap.. Here's a good tip always let your phone do stuff on its own time don't rush be patient and this method worked for me I was running a galaxy s3 stock 4.4.2 Verizon and it all worked now I'm running the same s3 but on superliter rom deoxed and debloated

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones