• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Verizon G2 shows root in phone settings

Rxpert83

Dr. Feelgood
Aug 30, 2011
MN
The Verizon G2 Is Configured To Show Root Status In The About Phone Menu, Make It Easier To Void Your Warranty

Looks like verizon is up to no good with the rooting community again

nexusae0_g2-root-check_thumb.png

Can't you simply unroot it?

Yes, but the question is whether or not it stays.

For example... On HTC devices when you unlock the boot loader using HTC Dev the boot loader will display
****Unlocked****
***Tampered***

When you unroot it, the boot loader will say
***Re-Locked***

Signifying that it has been previously rooted, and the warranty is still invalid

Upvote 0
Yes, but the question is whether or not it stays.

For example... On HTC devices when you unlock the boot loader using HTC Dev the boot loader will display
****Unlocked****
***Tampered***

When you unroot it, the boot loader will say
***Re-Locked***

Signifying that it has been previously rooted, and the warranty is still invalid
I'd like to know more. Specifically, what or who has had a warranty invalidated because of root.

In a supreme court decision, voiding a warranty because of unrelated modifications is illegal. If you upgrade you brake lines and the car loses its brakes and crashes, the warranty claim against the brakes can certainly be dismissed. But if the engine dies, they can't void the warranty because you upgraded the brakes. Similarly, Verizon can't void a warranty item unrelated to root. Nor can they with insurance either.

Its called the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. Burden of proof is not with consumer, but with manufacturer. They have to prove root was the cause of damage to your device.

So I'm just trying to find out what the issue seems to be.

http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-tv-2/your-warranty-is-not-void-xda-tv/

Reactions: IMUcarmen and dkl1
Upvote 0
I haven't gotten a chance to watch the video you've posted because my data is acting really wonky at the moment...

However, rooting is different than replacing the brakes on your car. The example you provided was replacing one piece of hardware and having a different unrelated piece break.

Rooting the phone gives you access to just about anything, including overriding limits set in place by the manufacturer.If you dont know what youre doing you could potentially damage quite a few seemingly unrelated pieces of hardware.Overclocking could cause damage the CPU and other damage from increased heat, increasing max volume could damage speakers, overclocking GPU could damage it, ect. The list really can get quite long.

As far as whether root voids your warranty, I'd have to default to asking your manufacturer, carrier, and insurance company. Ultimately its going to be buried in your terms and conditions with them.

Upvote 0
I just don't understand why people feel like they should be able to keep there warranty if they root there phone....
That is dishonest to unroot your phone to get it repaired under warranty.
Verizon isn't "making it hard" on the rooting community. They are trying to cut out any fraud

I would agree with that in some cases. Namely if the repair is necessary due to being rooted. But there are many cases when a simple hardware failure is the issue, like the power or volume button starts only working intermittently or something similar. If a person unroots in that situation and still experiences the problem on the stock software, I see no problem at all in sending in for repair. Clearly root played no part in that.

Now when people do stupid (or ignorant) things when rooted and screw up the phone. Yep, I agree with what you said.

Reactions: MLSS and Rxpert83
Upvote 0

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

This should take care of any problems with returns after performing root.
It is a complete guide with the necessary files to return to complete stock and showing (unrooted) in the rooting status. Can also be used for restoring a soft bricked phone !

Upvote 0
By flashing back do you mean the XDA method or a by doing a factory reset?

Full flash back to stock. As RX mentioned, reset won't get it done. Also, if and only if you happen to be on the Verizon variant, I recommend using WACOmalt's guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2448960

He did a great job drafting that up as he worked through it in IRC. Bang up job, very clear instructs. I used that and it went just as the guide states. I'm going to link that thread in our root sticky.

Upvote 0
I have not rooted yet, haven't had the time. I was at the bar earlier to watch the Pirate game and the notification came up about the update and I thought I was pressing to install later when I was actually pressing install now.

If you hadn't seen it yet, the update doesn't block any current root methods. I took the update the second I turned mine on for the first time.

Reactions: halon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones