1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Verizon G2 shows root in phone settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rxpert83, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. CheeseJam

CheeseJam Well-Known Member

Has Verizon ever done anything with this in the past? I am not too worried about it:

[​IMG]

:)

Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Its just another example of Verizon being bad for rooted users.

dkl1 likes this.
  4. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

Can't you simply unroot it?

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Yes, but the question is whether or not it stays.

For example... On HTC devices when you unlock the boot loader using HTC Dev the boot loader will display
    ****Unlocked****
    ***Tampered***

When you unroot it, the boot loader will say
    ***Re-Locked***

Signifying that it has been previously rooted, and the warranty is still invalid

6. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert

I'd like to know more. Specifically, what or who has had a warranty invalidated because of root.

In a supreme court decision, voiding a warranty because of unrelated modifications is illegal. If you upgrade you brake lines and the car loses its brakes and crashes, the warranty claim against the brakes can certainly be dismissed. But if the engine dies, they can't void the warranty because you upgraded the brakes. Similarly, Verizon can't void a warranty item unrelated to root. Nor can they with insurance either.

Its called the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. Burden of proof is not with consumer, but with manufacturer. They have to prove root was the cause of damage to your device.

So I'm just trying to find out what the issue seems to be.

http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-tv-2/your-warranty-is-not-void-xda-tv/

IMUcarmen and dkl1 like this.
  7. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert

I will say this though. Can't install Isis. Shows phone as rooted and won't install.

8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I haven't gotten a chance to watch the video you've posted because my data is acting really wonky at the moment...

However, rooting is different than replacing the brakes on your car. The example you provided was replacing one piece of hardware and having a different unrelated piece break.

Rooting the phone gives you access to just about anything, including overriding limits set in place by the manufacturer.If you dont know what youre doing you could potentially damage quite a few seemingly unrelated pieces of hardware.Overclocking could cause damage the CPU and other damage from increased heat, increasing max volume could damage speakers, overclocking GPU could damage it, ect. The list really can get quite long.

As far as whether root voids your warranty, I'd have to default to asking your manufacturer, carrier, and insurance company. Ultimately its going to be buried in your terms and conditions with them.

9. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

I just don't understand why people feel like they should be able to keep there warranty if they root there phone....
    That is dishonest to unroot your phone to get it repaired under warranty.
    Verizon isn't "making it hard" on the rooting community. They are trying to cut out any fraud

10. hollywoods14

hollywoods14 Android Expert

LG needs to do what Asus did with the TF300. Root doesnt void the warranty. Unlocking the bootloader does. Asus provided an unlock tool, and i believe is still the only way of unlocking it, that sends them your info stating your device is unlocked. I think that is a fair deal.

HanSolo likes this.
  11. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I would agree with that in some cases. Namely if the repair is necessary due to being rooted. But there are many cases when a simple hardware failure is the issue, like the power or volume button starts only working intermittently or something similar. If a person unroots in that situation and still experiences the problem on the stock software, I see no problem at all in sending in for repair. Clearly root played no part in that.

Now when people do stupid (or ignorant) things when rooted and screw up the phone. Yep, I agree with what you said.

MLSS and Rxpert83 like this.
  12. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

This isn't the first Verizon phone that has blatantly showed if a device is rooted. At one point, and maybe still to this day, Motorola phones have had a root checker built into the stock recovery to show if you are rooted or ever rooted.

Motorola installing "root checker" on Verizon ICS devices

13. dan409

dan409 Well-Known Member

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

This should take care of any problems with returns after performing root.
    It is a complete guide with the necessary files to return to complete stock and showing (unrooted) in the rooting status. Can also be used for restoring a soft bricked phone !

jhawkkw, dkl1 and Rxpert83 like this.
  14. iowabowtech

Verified today that flashing back to stock does indeed clear the flag. Also, re-rooted using the new tool. All worked great.

xmguy1 likes this.
  15. TritonDroid

TritonDroid Well-Known Member

By flashing back do you mean the XDA method or a by doing a factory reset?

16. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

A factory reset won't erase root

iowabowtech likes this.
  17. iowabowtech

Full flash back to stock. As RX mentioned, reset won't get it done. Also, if and only if you happen to be on the Verizon variant, I recommend using WACOmalt's guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2448960

He did a great job drafting that up as he worked through it in IRC. Bang up job, very clear instructs. I used that and it went just as the guide states. I'm going to link that thread in our root sticky.

18. halon

halon hakuna matata

I just got the G2 should I avoid the update?

19. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

The 11A update does not effect root, just some audio and launcher redraw bugs squashed.

Make sure if you're going to take it, you're on the stock recovery.

I took the OTA once root was verified working with it, then rooted and installed TWRP with no issues.

20. halon

halon hakuna matata

I have not rooted yet, haven't had the time. I was at the bar earlier to watch the Pirate game and the notification came up about the update and I thought I was pressing to install later when I was actually pressing install now.

21. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

If you hadn't seen it yet, the update doesn't block any current root methods. I took the update the second I turned mine on for the first time.

halon likes this.

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews