• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Verizon LG G2 Bricked (Stuck in Fastboot Recovery Mode)

Hi everyone,
So I recently attempted to root my LG G2 and after many attempts I was able to do this using Stump. I then made a Cyanogen Mod Recovery using ROM Manager. I downloaded an app called auto rec and tried to put the phone into recovery mode. After a little bit small white text at the top left of my screen appeared saying
Fastboot mode started
udc_start()
--reset--
--portchange--
--reset--
--portchange--
fastboot : processing commands

Anyway I'm incredibly new to this whole rooting thing and am having a really hard time trying to unbrick the phone. I have tried numerous things (Using the flash tool and Lg support app) but to no avail. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks so much and I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Awesome, I believe I was on the most recent OTA update for 4.4.2 so I think that was 26A. I'll research the android sdk for fastbooting. I honestly have no idea what those terms mean. Thanks for the response!

If you have access to your IMEI number, such as on the box the phone came in, etc if you bought it new, then you can paste this link into a browser:

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=

...and at the very end, after the = sign, type in your IMEI there with no dashes then hit enter on keyboard. It should output a page of info. About halfway down would be a link for your devices kdz running 26A. If you can provide me with that link via PM please, I can extract the laf.img from the kdz and post it for your use. I can't currently find the 26A laf.img posted anywhere.

Upvote 0
Alright so I tried the bootloader thing but the computer doesn't recognize my phone when I do the adb devices command.

Open windows device manager. It may be currently an "unrecognized device" while in fastboot mode. If so, download this:

goo.gl/vEQ53A

Unzip to a folder of the same name on pc desktop. Go back into device manager and find the "unknown device" that is your phone. Right click and choose option to update driver. Choose the manual install where you provide the file. Navigate to the new folder on your desktop and point it to the entire folder.

Once applied, your device should show up as "adb interface" or similar wording in device manager. Then you should be able to enter fastboot commands. You will not be able to use adb commands at this time because you are in a special fastboot mode only.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
hmmm. I believe I have the correct drivers, When I go into devices and printers my phone shows up as android. imgur: the simple image sharer <--There's a link to what it looks like. Also for the IMEI number, I purchased the phone and have the box, however, I then received a new phone from Verizon after mine was functioning. Will the IMEI number be the same as the one on my old phone box?

Upvote 0
hmmm. I believe I have the correct drivers, When I go into devices and printers my phone shows up as android. imgur: the simple image sharer <--There's a link to what it looks like. Also for the IMEI number, I purchased the phone and have the box, however, I then received a new phone from Verizon after mine was functioning. Will the IMEI number be the same as the one on my old phone box?

That is a subfunction of your device but it's not the device you're looking for. I don't know how vzw does the IMEI thing when swapping phones like that. Unless it's listed on the paperwork you got with the transaction, I'd assume you don't have access to it right now without boot.

To try and pin down the device that is the phone, actively watch device manager while you are plugging in and/or disconnecting it to the pc while in fastboot mode. Expand all the categories in device manager so you're not missing any devices that pop up at that time.

Upvote 0
Alright I installed that, but It still shows up as the same as before. Even after plugging it back in.

Yeah I don't know man. Windows and usb device recognition are the bane of my existence. There may be some newer LG United drivers out there but it really should be showing up if you've already tried updating the drivers via the 2 downloads I linked. I've not had much trouble with vs980's. :thinking:

Is the "android phone" going away and reappearing when you plug in the phone while the fastboot screen is showing? Is there anything else appearing/disappearing at that time in device manager?

If all else fails, try installing pdanet. It comes packaged with adb/fastboot drivers that also are mostly universal. You don't have to run the program, the drivers will just come with the download. Then reboot your machine with the phone still plugged in (while showing fastboot mode on screen still) and hope it applies after the reboot.

THIS
is what you should be seeing. Just referencing the pic on that page. Some of that info obviously doesn't apply to you since you have no boot at this time.

Reactions: RoundishCrab4
Upvote 0
I'm running windows 7, the pda net thing still didn't work. I'll try googling it but I might just need to go to the store. Thanks so much guys for the help!!

Are you using the stock usb charge cable? If not and you have it, give that a shot instead as this phone is sensitive to aftermarket cables. Also, try every usb port you have at your disposal.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones