1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Verizon] Verizon SCH-I535 OTA VRBMF1 - Can I Revert??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jrotante, Jul 21, 2013.

1. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    I was one of the unfortunate ones that received the I535VRBMB1 update that screwed up my signal reception. I no longer have 4G no matter what I do and I've done it all. I even rooted my phone which was stock prior to these issues and I'm glad I did, but it still didn't help. I rooted it to the Moar 5.01 rom using ODin and CWM. It took a few tries and I downloaded like 10 different 5.01 roms since it didn't work, but I think it was because I had to wipe davick, cache, reset, etc... first. I did it but restarted my phone thinking I had to because it wasn't clear in the instructions that you just do all of that, then flash the rom from zip. It finally worked, but my firmware was still VRBMF1 and my signal strength and 4G still didn't work and I couldn't get my Verizon visual voicemail to work, but I figured I could with some research.

Well even with the Moar rom on it (which worked awesome by the way!!) I still had the MF1 firmware on it and since my firmware was still screwed up I decided to revert back to stock so I could used the phone without any issues until I find the correct method to get the MF1 off my phone. I think I need to go to the VRBMB1 firmware first, then flash with Moar, is that correct?

Could someone help me out on this? I just want to go back to a firmware prior to Verizon/Samsung's screw up that doesn't have the reception issues. My phone worked great prior to those two updates and now I hardly have any signal strength and my 4G still doesn't work.

If someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I did download the I535VRBMB1 firmware from samsung-updates.com and was going to try to flash it, but was nervous about doing it. Also, being a newb I just wanted to be sure I'm using the proper method. I already used CWM and some other backup tools to backup my phone and have restored it twice, so I know my backups are legit too. I also need to know why there is an MD5 on the end of the file that I downloaded from samsung-updates. Do I just remove the MD5 from the filename since it looks like a tar file with extra letters on the end. The filename is tar.MD5 and also how do I verify the MD5 if they don't list it anywhere for the download? I have the tool to verify the file, but I can't seem to find the MD5 key for the file that I downloaded. This is the file I downloaded....

COMBINATION_I535VRBLK3_I535VZWBLK3_381038_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5

Then if that is the correct file and all I need to do is remove the MD5 from the end of it, do I use ODIN and the volume down method to flash it? Will it screw up CWM, SuperUser, etc??? Just want to be sure I'm doing the correct method. Also, I did unlock my bootloader and left it unlocked as far as I know. Not sure if restoring my CWM backup locked it again or not. I know I noticed a white lock that was open originally after I did it on the boot screen, but it's not there anymore, so I'm not sure if it's locked again or not.

Anyhow, sorry to spew, just needed to make sure I'm doing the right thing so I don't brick my phone.

Verizon SCH-I535 Blue 16gb

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Hello jrotante!
    MF-1 is the latest radio.
    MB-1 is the radio before the MD-1 (I think the MD1 is the bad update)
    I am running on the MB1 radio.
    A little confusing sometimes to me ;)

You can just flash a radio if you want.

Or are you wishing to unroot/OTA update/reroot?

That file you listed--COMBINATION_I535VRBLK3_I535VZWBLK3_381038_REV09_us er_low_ship.tar.md5 is the same file I ran via ODIN to unroot...no need to rename or unzip it, but that will unroot you.

jrotante likes this.
  3. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    Hey Mikestony,

Awesome! Thanks!! Well, I kind of would like to keep it rooted and I'd actually like to try a Rom like Moar, but I need the visual voicemail for Verizon. The one they provided didn't work right or I couldn't figure it out, plus I figured it might be easier to just use the Verizon voicemail. I'm pretty sure I will end up with Andy's Bonestock Rom because I think it has the Verizon files as an option using the Aroma installer. I know it's not anything special rom wise, when it comes to bells and whistles, but I think I can ease into it. I just want to make sure my reception works good, that is my primary goal here.

So if you have any suggestions let me know. Also, do you have good reception with the MB1 radio? Do I have to do anything special to flash the radio? I'm currently back to stock with root, but not sure if my CWM restore wiped out the bootloader lock or anything like that? If you can give me a basic rundown of what i might need to do, I think I will just flash the radio for now to see if it works, but do I need to do anything else prior to that? I am still rooted as far as I can tell, I have Superuser, busybox, etc...

Can I just flash the radio and if so, where might I find just the radio firmware?

Thanks for your help, Joe

4. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
  5. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    MasterCylinder and breadnatty08 like this.
  6. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    Yeah, I have the most current recovery and a backup. Thanks!! that's exactly what I needed know. I'll just flash the radio and hopefully it will work.

Thanks again for your help, Joe

Mikestony likes this.
  7. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    Just flashed the radio and it worked perfectly! Now that my phone actually works normal I can start checking out some roms.

Oh yeah, if I'm not going to flash a rom at this moment should I lock the bootloader? I don't notice any difference but I wasn't sure if Verizon could flag it somehow if it's not locked.

Thanks again, Joe

8. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    jrotante likes this.
  9. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    Awesome! Yeah, it was straight forward, installed without any issues. I did clear the dalvik and cache too, then installed.

I would probably never take it in to them unless I really had to, so I guess I don't have to worry about that then. Thanks!

Sweet, thanks for the links! Looks like some cool stuff to check out. I might just install what you have on yours for now just to check it out.

Thanks again for the guidance!!!

Mikestony likes this.
  10. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    Well, all was good...lol I still can't get 4G to work. The signal strength seems a bit stronger but no 4G. I've rebooted, airplane mode, etc... switched lte, global, etc...

So I was curious why even though we changed the firmware on the radio that it still didn't work. So I started looking more and discovered the service menu. I did the *#1234*# and it show me this...

AP: I535VRBMF1
    CP: I535VRBMB1
    CSC:I535VZWBMF1

So, my question is, how do we change the AP and CSC? Shouldn't they all be MB1?

I thought it was all good, because my actual cell reception was better, but data is still screwed up.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Joe

11. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    hmmm, I tried that *#1234*# and it wouldn't work on mine..could be the rom I'm on ...
    anyhoo, I don't know the answer to that but, try this....
    Shutdown the phone, pull the sd card and sim card. Turn on phone and let it fully boot.
    Then shut it down again. Insert sd card and sim. Power back on.
    Do you NOT get 4g no matter where you are?

12. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    *#*#197328640#*#*

You have to enable hidden menu first by typing this then hit send. Then type the 1234 string. Anyhow, i tried what you recommended but still no 4g. They sent me a new sim card for that new wallet type app where u use your phone to pay for stuff, so i think i might just use that to see if it fixes it.

I'll let you know. Thx

Mikestony likes this.
  13. jrotante

jrotante Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2013
    Male
    Montana
    Just wanted to let you know that the sim card did fix the 4G issue. My signal is still a bit weak, but better than before and now I have my 4G back. So, anyone having 4G issues since Verizon sent out that bad update can order a new sim from Verizon and I would wait until I got it, then just flash the radio and install and activate the sim card. I actually ordered mine before I even starting messing with the phone because they offered it as an upgrade for free for the NFC SE Wallet type application for your phone. Basically a secure sim card I guess for using your phone to pay for stuff.

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions!! I will definitely be trying out some Roms now that my phone is actually working.