• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Video: How to Unlock the Bootloader on the Galaxy Nexus [Verizon]

So, I was having issues getting the drivers to work, but I used a fix in another thread by using the naked Samsung ADB driver.

After I got it to work, I followed your video to the letter. When you booted up your phone and it bootlooped, so did mine. I waited a few minutes then unplugged, and had to pull the battery. When I tried to turn it back on, I am now in another bootloop that doesn't go past the Google screen with the Unlock at the bottom.

Oh god, first brick?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you're looping after unlocking - DO NOT PULL BATTERY!!!

Let it do its thing. It took me over 5 minutes to finally boot.

It's going to take some time, after all, it is fully wiping the device.

Make sure you don't panic, we have system images, there's nothing you can't come back from. It's wonderful having a safety net ;)

Upvote 0
If you're looping after unlocking - DO NOT PULL BATTERY!!!

Let it do its thing. It took me over 5 minutes to finally boot.

It's going to take some time, after all, it is fully wiping the device.

Make sure you don't panic, we have system images, there's nothing you can't come back from. It's wonderful having a safety net ;)

Ugh. Wish I had seen this earlier. How do I use the system image to fix my soft bricked, boot looping GNEx?

Upvote 0
Ugh. Earlier this morning when I opened a command window at the C prompt I had android-sdk-windows....

After typing in the two commands to unlock all I got was waiting for device.

I messed around some more and now when I open a command windo it doesn't say android-sdk-windows....

This should be so easy and it just isn't going right :mad:

Upvote 0
Ok ive seen the video on droid life at how to unlock the bootloader but its talking about sdk and adb need to be setup first. ive never messed with adb or sdk so can anyone help me out with this? id like to get this thing unlocked. also, is there a way to relock it incase if it need to be taken back to verizon?

Dont know how to use the cmd command on my computer either but would like to know how

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I "installed" the SDK (my fastbook was in the platform-tools, not tools, but all the 3 important programs are there), i can get into the bootloader but when i type fastboot oem unlock, the command prompt says waiting for phone and nothing happens. I have noticed that when he says in the video the after opening bootloader the samsung driver updates or something and mine doesnt. any ideas? guess Ill start all over...*sigh

Upvote 0
For some reason I get a device driver failure and when I investigate, it shows the MTP device is unplugged. Can anyone help about why this is occuring? Thanks.

edit: this happens after I do adb reboot bootloader command. phone reboots to bootloader, but I get a device driver installation failure on my PC, and it will just go to waiting for device in the command prompt after I do fastboot oem unlock command.

Upvote 0
I HATE windows
Really really do.

I went to samsung, downloaded the drivers (already had them) installed. Rebooted my PC. Plug in the nexus and windows runs live update for the drivers. :thinking::mad:

It installs the drivers, so I load up ADB, run the command "adb devices" which should return a string of numbers and instead nothing is returned.

What the!?
EDIT: Note to self, enable USB debugging. Shesh. :rolleyes:

EDIT 2:

Got it working... sort of. Now it just says waiting for device after issuing the fastboot oem unlock command

Windows told me my driver malfunctioned

Upvote 0
I had gotten stuck there myself a few times. What worked for me was after i typed 'adb reboot bootloader' and the phone rebooted into the bootloader i opened up my device manager saw the yellow indicator on Android 1.0. I then right-clicked to update driver and browsed the computer and chose the latest Samsung ADB Interface version.

EDIT: then i typed the 'fastboot oem unlock' command after the driver updated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones