1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon Video Voicemail Battery Hog

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Whatstreet, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Fremont, CA
    The uninstallable Verizon video voicemail app uses too much battery. It is usually the thirstiest app in the battery list. What can be done to tame its ravenous appetite? To make matters worse, it is not an option and can not be uninstalled or disabled. Guidance on this will help many.

Advertisement

2. legalkill

legalkill Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    GA
    I use google voice for Voicemail so maybe by virtue of that my verizon voicemail, though always running, has never been a battery user (as in never on my battery list).

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

I have a few Verizon branded phones on my plan and a while back they got 'updated' with that, it threw my peeps for a loop. I called Verizon and asked them to disable it and they did. Those lines just have the old voicemail function now, they have to dial in for voicemail and that's the way they like it.

The non-Verizon phones (Moto G and X's) that don't use Google Voice can also just dial in with no issue.

One of my peeps and I use Google Voicemail and love it :)

4. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Fremont, CA
    I have discovered why the Verizon Visual Voicemail app was such a battery hog.

The problem was caused because I didn't setup the voicemail account properly. During setup I was prompted to select a plan. There was Premium Visual Voicemail and Basic Visual Voicemail. I wasn't familiar with either one of them so I didn't make a selection. I thought it would default to something safe and I was able to listen to my voicemail. However, the app and google services were running wild and could discharge the battery in something like one hour in some cases. I cleared system cache and app cache and then Voice Mail needed setup again. This time I went to My Verizon and investigated the choices and selected Basic Visual Voicemail and made the same selection during setup in the app on the phone.

No more battery hog problems from the Verizon Visual Voicemail app. You must select which service you want Basic or Premium or there will be a malfunction that drains your battery.

MauiMotoGal, Clementine_3 and doogald like this.

Motorola Moto Z

The Motorola Moto Z launched in 2016 and in the US, was exclusive to Verizon as the "Moto Z Droid Edition." The phone was the first of its kind to feature "Moto Mods," accessories that attached to the back of the phone to expand functionality. The phone was joined by the more rugged Moto Z Force and mid-ranged Moto Z Play.