1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verizon voice mail app?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by BudDroid, Feb 24, 2014.

1. BudDroid

BudDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Seagrove Beach FL
    Hi, I just moved to Verizon from Sprint yesterday.

On my Sprint phone, I could open the voice mail app and see a list of all the voice mails that I had - who from, when received, etc. From the list, I could pick a voice mail and either listen, delete, call back, or whatever.

When I click on the Verizon app, it calls voice mail, asks me to enter my PIN, then plays my messages and I have to delete, archive, etc. with number presses. Kinda archaic, not to mention slow.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to do what I was doing on Sprint?

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Nope, you're not missing anything, it's just that basic. They do offer a more robust visual voicemail service but I believe there is a monthly fee.

I don't use Verizon's voicemail at all, I use Google Voice instead and love it. There are so many pluses and very few minuses, it's a great tool to have.
    It allows you to have visual voicemail (the transcriptions are sometimes priceless), SMS (no MMS - downfall) and another phone number. You can access your voicemail and texts on your laptop/PC or through the (dated) phone app. It's so nice to be able to listen to your voicemails from the laptop. I use my GV number for people/places that I don't want to give my 'real' number to (pizza/online forms etc.), it comes in handy! You don't need a number to use the voicemail piece but I say get one anyway.
    There are probably other similar services or just voicemail apps out there, but give
    GV a looky.

BudDroid likes this.
  3. BudDroid

BudDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Seagrove Beach FL
    Sorry to say, I'm in the "Google knows too much about us already" camp and just not excited about getting lashed into Google voice.

I'll look into the Visual voice mail. I don't really need the voice-to-text feature, just a little bit more usable interface. Sorry to hear that's Verizon's approach. Oh well.

4. groat04

groat04 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2012
    Female
    Medical Director
    Michigan
    I also use Google voice since the Verizon voice mail is very basic and Visual voice mail cost about $2/month

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    New York
    There are third party apps that will do what you are looking for. I use YouMail.

PattiCakeUS and BudDroid like this.
  6. axel_2078

axel_2078 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator
    Fairview Heights, IL
    This is built-in on the iPhone, but with Android, you need the visual voicemail feature, which costs extra.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    New York
    Or...see the post right before yours and use one of the many free apps that do the same thing.

PattiCakeUS likes this.
  8. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Female
    Yep.
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I was a Sprint user too (with an Android phone), I just recently switched to Verizon & also miss how Sprint's (free) voice mail used to work. It's not an iPhone/Android issue, it's a carrier issue. Verizon does it differently than Sprint.

9. EliC

EliC Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I haven't tried GV in a couple of years. Have they fixed the problem where it takes forever to get transferred to GV when you don't answer? Very few people would leave messages when I tried it because it took forever.

10. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Female
    Yep.
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Thanks for mentioning youmail, I installed it last week & I really like it, it gives me back the similarity to Sprint voicemail I was missing.

It also came in REALLY handy in the middle of the night last night, some drunk girl called & woke me up asking for her "baby daddy". I told her she had the wrong number but she insisted she didn't, & called back 2 more times before I remembered youmail has an awesome feature... I think it's called the dump list, you can set certain callers to get a message saying the number they called is no longer in service! Awesome :thumbup:

Skipdawg likes this.