• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] We've got to get this forum hopping!

What does TW add? I'm having a hard time seeing a difference beyond a crummy launcher and a few widgets.

The launcher is not crummy, but different. It's got a really nice feel and its new. Aosp is old and feels old. Yes, the widgets are new too and pretty slick. But that's why we have choices, so you can have what you like and I can have what I like. I will never begrudge your choice.

Upvote 0
What does TW add? I'm having a hard time seeing a difference beyond a crummy launcher and a few widgets.

there are some things i like...off the top of my head ill pull..

- The camera is better
- swipe to call/text in contacts
- swipe to screenshot
- built in task manager is slick

if i moved back to an AOSP ROM for a few days id probably come up with a few more right away

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
Pike's Peak is a 14'er right? I have a friend doing it this weekend.

Still OT, Surely, you've made it up a 14er or two? If not, I highly recommend it (though not on New Year's Eve in a blizzard). I miss the mountains, though living a block from the beach has its own attractions.

Back on topic, I agree with Metfanant. I would discover things I didn't realize were part of TW until they are gone. I keep saying (I think I'm working up the courage), I'll try it soon.

Upvote 0
Still OT, Surely, you've made it up a 14er or two? If not, I highly recommend it (though not on New Year's Eve in a blizzard). I miss the mountains, though living a block from the beach has its own attractions.

Back on topic, I agree with Metfanant. I would discover things I didn't realize were part of TW until they are gone. I keep saying (I think I'm working up the courage), I'll try it soon.

Not yet my friend. We've done some big 13's but no 14'ers. Been into biking, both road and mountain this year, but we'll do it for sure. Longs Peak will prob be our first and that will come next summer. Thanks for the inspiration. A NY native so I know the beach.. big time.

Upvote 0
In addition to what others have mentioned, there are lots and lots of gesture and voice controls, and NFC actually works and allows for a couple nice tricks with media/file sharing.

Other than the launcher and widgets (which are very easy to replace), I actually like a lot of the TW enhancements. That's why I didn't stick with CM10 for very long.

Upvote 0
OT: Do you really live near Pike's Peak? I lived there for several years and climbed the mountain a bunch of times, once on New Year's Eve.
Yes I do. I wasn't an outdoors-y type but living in this area changed that. Careening down Pike's Peak on a mountain bike is better than any amusement park!

The launcher is not crummy, but different. It's got a really nice feel and its new.
I guess I should say I don't like the launcher; it has far fewer options than the aged ADW even. I'm using Nova Prime and like it a lot.

Re: other TW stuff. I guess I don't really use its extra features (swipe for screenshot is really nice but I can live with long-pressing the power button as with other ROMs) and can do without proprietary bloat.

I'd prefer a blank palette, upon which to build/customise.

Upvote 0
Well for our device everything is at a turning point. Now that the bootloader is unlocked the roms, kernels, and even recoveries are going to be changing some. We are going to be going from KEXEC to normal. Once this happens everything is going to be opened up more and the development for this device is going to explode. Soon we will be on par with all the other S3 variants and will even be able to use the same roms and kernels they can. When this happens the development for the S3 will be unified and will quadruple the amount of people customizing. Once everything gets shifted over all the guides and walkthroughs will be much easier and straight forward.

When I was using the motorola triumph before this device the majority of the devs where here at AF. The reason why people use xda and RW is because thats where most devs are and as a community the use each others work to move this forward. AF is nice but for the most part is is for noobs. At lest at AF you can ask a question and get an answer, where as at xda the just say, "read around and you will find the answer". For the most part xda is world renowned for its development community AF isnt, but AF is a nicer, friendlier, and more excepting community to converse in.

Upvote 0
Personally, I've just been reading more than anything. I've only had my s3 for a little over a week. I'm trying to get used to it on stock. My biggest problem about moving to another rom right now is I REALLY like the stock camera and don't want to loose it's features. I tried all sorts of roms on my DX but so far I like most of the stock TW. Didn't like the launcher. That was gone the first day. I've been using nova prime cause I was getting tired of Go Launcher on my DX. So far, I love the S3 and will probably start roming when the true jelly bean roms start rolling out.
I also agree that it's way easier to follow things over here in AF. XDA makes my head spin. Some of their development threads just get WAY too big and there's no reliable way to get the info you need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones