• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] What ROM to use

shikhan

Lurker
Aug 17, 2012
I jut got my g nexus (used) and it came with a jelly bean ROM already installed. 8
The build is Jrn84d. If anyone knows how to identify this ROM, I'd be greatful.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far, and it seems pretty stable. But I'm really missing my power bar that I had in my notification area with Cyanogen.

As I just got this phone, I'm still trying to find the differences between the various roms out there.

Here are the things I'm looking for:
Stability
Google now working
Power bar (in the notification area or another. Easy to access anytime area)
Long battery life

Any other tweaking options are nice but not necessary at this time for me.

Any suggestions?

I jut got my g nexus (used) and it came with a jelly bean ROM already installed. 8
The build is Jrn84d. If anyone knows how to identify this ROM, I'd be greatful.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far, and it seems pretty stable. But I'm really missing my power bar that I had in my notification area with Cyanogen.

As I just got this phone, I'm still trying to find the differences between the various roms out there.

Here are the things I'm looking for:
Stability
Google now working
Power bar (in the notification area or another. Easy to access anytime area)
Long battery life

Any other tweaking options are nice but not necessary at this time for me.

Any suggestions?
If you want stability, Bugless Beast is your ROM. Thing is with it you won't get any real customization (it's pretty much a "stock" ROM), but it runs darn near flawlessly. I'm on LiquidSmooth Beta 2 myself and really like it because it has a bunch of features I can play with. For a Beta it's remarkably stable, and I am looking forward to their future releases. Xenon is also good and stable and probably has the feature set you're looking for. Unless you enjoy updating your ROM daily, I'd avoid Jelly Belly, but from what I hear its reasonably stable with lots of features. Those are the only ones I've had any experience with so far, so take my opinions for what you will.

As far as battery life goes, GOOD LUCK! I've been chasing that rainbow for almost a year and haven't caught it yet. Remember - you're holding the equivalent of a small laptop PC in your hand, so don't let your expectations get in the way of reality. ALL 4G smartphones with big screens and fast processors eat power (just wait, Apple - you'll get your chance to experience true user frustration soon enough), so don't let battery life be the dealbreaking factor in choosing your ROM.

Hope that helped. Remember, if you don't like what you choose, just try something else. So many ROMs, so little time....

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Hands down I've been the most happy with AOKP.

AOKP had good battery life, a huge set of features and offered me pretty much anything I could need out of a ROM. It fit ME very well. That being said, the JB ROMs are only nightlies. I will likely make the switch to AOKP once they have a real build up or hit a milestone, but I need my phone and I can't afford to try out something that may not be a daily driver.

I am currently using XenonHD. It isn't bad, but I've had a few restarts on it. It is pretty smooth and has a good number of features. The ROM is constantly being tweaked and remains mostly stable. I will be ditching it for AOKP, though.

My brother has had some success with Black Bean. He really likes it and really enjoys the way it looks (black).

No matter what you pick, good luck. =)

Upvote 0
...Any suggestions?

We are entering the golden age for Jelly Bean ROMs as they are all stable and give you what you are asking for. You are probably going to get someone chiming in about every ROM out there so spend a few minutes reading the threads and you can't go wrong.

My daily driver is JBSourcery version 1.0 and I haven't had a single issue.

Upvote 0
We are entering the golden age for Jelly Bean ROMs as they are all stable and give you what you are asking for. You are probably going to get someone chiming in about every ROM out there so spend a few minutes reading the threads and you can't go wrong.

My daily driver is JBSourcery version 1.0 and I haven't had a single issue.

You're going to hear something different from everyone since everyone's phone is different (as much as you hear that, believe it, because it's true). I've tried Bugless Beast, BAMF, LiquidSmooth, Xenon, and Codename Android, but Xenon is the one that I went back to and I currently use 9.0 as my daily driver, so it's the ROM I'll suggest, but your phone is different so make sure you try different ones and make a nandroid of each so you flash back to one that you like.

Upvote 0
Okay, never mind my above post about the very excellent Codename Android: that was before I discovered the absolute wonder that is JBSourcery.

This ROM is simply phenomenal. It has more customizations than I will ever use... you can make your phone truly one of a kind. Smooth, fast and, well, just unbelievable in what you can do with it.

Just flash it: you will not regret it :)

Upvote 0
Okay, never mind my above post about the very excellent Codename Android: that was before I discovered the absolute wonder that is JBSourcery.

This ROM is simply phenomenal. It has more customizations than I will ever use... you can make your phone truly one of a kind. Smooth, fast and, well, just unbelievable in what you can do with it.

Just flash it: you will not regret it :)

@The_Chief: Do you feel this is a stable JB rom? So far I have been using Vicious 4.1.1v1 for 3 weeks and haven't problems except that GPS locking issue.

Upvote 0
Shiny, it's as stable a ROM as you're going to find. And the options are nearly endless.

Want a new bootanimation? Choose one: there are over 200 to choose from, and let the ROM flash it for you.

Want a different kernel? Choose one: there are lots, and let the ROM flash it for you.

Nandroid your current setup, wipe, flash and explore! If for some reason you don't like it, wipe and restore your nandroid.

HINT: JBSourcery 2.0 is due out within DAYS! I have not a clue what else they can squeeze into this ROM that isn't already there... but apparently they're putting more in :D

Reactions: shinyhead
Upvote 0
Shiny, it's as stable a ROM as you're going to find. And the options are nearly endless.

Want a new bootanimation? Choose one: there are over 200 to choose from, and let the ROM flash it for you.

Want a different kernel? Choose one: there are lots, and let the ROM flash it for you.

Nandroid your current setup, wipe, flash and explore! If for some reason you don't like it, wipe and restore your nandroid.

HINT: JBSourcery 2.0 is due out within DAYS! I have not a clue what else they can squeeze into this ROM that isn't already there... but apparently they're putting more in :D

LOL you convinced me! I think I will flash when v2 comes out. Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0
@The_Chief: Do you feel this is a stable JB rom? So far I have been using Vicious 4.1.1v1 for 3 weeks and haven't problems except that GPS locking issue.

It really is a stable one. I've been using it for a few days and have only had one random reboot, but given the amount of features and customizations available, I'll give it a pass because it's still super slick and super smooth

Upvote 0
Yeah, I had one strange episode yesterday where it rebooted and stuck on Google. Waited like 5 minutes and pulled the battery. It powered right up normally, and has been fine ever since.

Remember that if you decide to change the kernel or bootanim the ROM will reboot the phone as part of that. So nobody count that as "random" :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I had one strange episode yesterday where it rebooted and stuck on Google. Waited like 5 minutes and pulled the battery. It powered right up normally, and has been fine ever since.

Remember that if you decide to change the kernel or bootanim the ROM will reboot the phone as part of that. So nobody count that as "random" :)

Agreed. Luckily for me my phone rebooted fine after that so no battery pull required. I'm not sure what happened as I was just browsing through Dolphin Browser and it rebooted. Oh well, I'd still recommend it to everyone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones