• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] What Wi-Fi Teathering/Hotspot App is everyone using?

I found that using a ROM with it built in was much more reliable than trying to use an APK. It seems that most of the tethering apps have not been updated for ICS.

I believe the AOKP and Gummy ROMs all have the native tethering functionality working without going through the Verizon servers (ie you don't have to log into their service). There may be others out there as well.

Personally I use GummyNex 0.8.1

Reactions: ymDroid
Upvote 0
I found that using a ROM with it built in was much more reliable than trying to use an APK. It seems that most of the tethering apps have not been updated for ICS.

I believe the AOKP and Gummy ROMs all have the native tethering functionality working without going through the Verizon servers (ie you don't have to log into their service). There may be others out there as well.

Personally I use GummyNex 0.8.1

I'm running AOKP M4. I didn't know it was built in. Nice.

Now to find it in settings.

Upvote 0
Now that I'm rooted, one of the biggest benefits I was told was the ability to gain teathering?

What hotspot/teathering apps is everyone using on their Galaxy Nexus?

Or do I need an app at all because it's something flashable?

This thread is gonna be deleted pretty quickly. A PSA was put out by Androidforums that prohibits topics about illegal tethering. Best answer is to pay for a tethering plan through VZW.

Upvote 0
I use the AOKP Hotspot and PdaNet USB.

I have found in the ROM hotspot if I am streaming data via two separate https browser windows one will stop needing a refresh upon my return.

I find in PdaNet USB this is not an issue. So if I can I use PdaNet to take advantage of charging I do. PdaNet will run @ Zero latency if provided so there is no need to fear its a bottle neck. They have recently updated to v3.50 that has an interesting twist on wireless for non-rooted devices..

Reactions: ymDroid
Upvote 0
you guys can talk about this all you want now like the above said.

personally i don't use it or do it but that is just me :)

I almost never use it - I rarely have need of it, but it's nice to be able to use it in a pinch, too. I've had to use it when we've lost power (I live in FL, it happens a lot) and I'm in the middle of a quiz/assignment for college that has to be done at a certain time. Laptop + tethering has saved my grade twice now.

And I know it's against the tos, but frankly, I'm not abusing it and I just don't feel bad about it. But people who have unlimited data and use tethering as their primary internet on their laptops, who use 100gb a month...well, I hope they get busted, because they're the ones ruining it for the rest of us.

Reactions: sneakking
Upvote 0
I almost never use it - I rarely have need of it, but it's nice to be able to use it in a pinch, too. I've had to use it when we've lost power (I live in FL, it happens a lot) and I'm in the middle of a quiz/assignment for college that has to be done at a certain time. Laptop + tethering has saved my grade twice now.

And I know it's against the tos, but frankly, I'm not abusing it and I just don't feel bad about it. But people who have unlimited data and use tethering as their primary internet on their laptops, who use 100gb a month...well, I hope they get busted, because they're the ones ruining it for the rest of us.

+1

Upvote 0

Funny because I don't need it either.

But...my brother has a Tmo Samsung Galaxy S2, and Tmo's 4G in Northern VA sucks.

It drives him crazy that my service is better than his. I always find him asking me to turn on my AP so he can use my 4g on VZW when he's here and we're out and about.

I didn't know I had it built in, but he'll be happy now.

Upvote 0
As does BAMF and several other prominent roms for this phone.

Does Codename Android? I've been running CA ROMs for the last couple months and been using WiFi Tether. But after seeing that it is built into a lot of ROMs, I tried using the native tether app and it doesn't work for me. It will enable tethering, my laptop will see the SSID, then immediately after that, WiFi tethering disables itself (box unchecks itself) and the SSID goes away on the laptop.

WiFi tether has some issues with me. Sometimes it will work good, but others, it will stop working and I have to toggle it can re-connect to get it working again.

Upvote 0
Does Codename Android? I've been running CA ROMs for the last couple months and been using WiFi Tether. But after seeing that it is built into a lot of ROMs, I tried using the native tether app and it doesn't work for me. It will enable tethering, my laptop will see the SSID, then immediately after that, WiFi tethering disables itself (box unchecks itself) and the SSID goes away on the laptop.

WiFi tether has some issues with me. Sometimes it will work good, but others, it will stop working and I have to toggle it can re-connect to get it working again.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with CA. Just never got around to trying that one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones