• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] What's the difference ?

Nucleus

Lurker
Sep 26, 2012
Hey everybody... I'm new and I have some questions. Looking to buy S3. Been reading the forums for a few days ... So here are my 1st questions ... :)

1. Can I buy an S3 from any vendor and root it to run CleanRom, or is that specific to a Verizon S3 phone?

2. Does it matter where I buy the phone?

3. Should I buy already unlocked? (Want to use Boost Mobile)

Thanks all ...

I'm not 100% on this, so perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe that there is likely a Verizon CleanRom along with one for each carrier. I'm guessing you'd need to do *something* to get your phone to work on boost mobile. I remember there were a few guys doing that kinda thing in the evo root forum, but I'm not sure everything they had to do.

I think the main thing you'd need to know about would be if Boost is CDMA or GSM, I'm pretty sure it's CDMA, but I don't know. You also may want to look into Boost's policy with activating unlocked phones... I think with GSM devices you could just pop in the sim card of an unlocked phone - but I don't know how that'd work on CDMA.

Hope that helps a little bit.
9to5

Upvote 0
Hey everybody... I'm new and I have some questions. Looking to buy S3. Been reading the forums for a few days ... So here are my 1st questions ... :)

1. Can I buy an S3 from any vendor and root it to run CleanRom, or is that specific to a Verizon S3 phone?

2. Does it matter where I buy the phone?

3. Should I buy already unlocked? (Want to use Boost Mobile)

Thanks all ...

Boost is Sprint. You should get a Sprint S3 then install ROMs specific to Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones