1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Why is it necessary to flash gapps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shaddyyy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. shaddyyy

shaddyyy Well-Known Member

Just wondering why most roms require you to flash gapps? I don't remember ever having to flash them on my thunderbolt and everything was fine. Is the app package tweaked for the new roms?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

A lot has to do with Google. Some of the bigger hitters in the ROM dev world are politely told by the Goog themselves that it is frowned upon if they include gapps in their custom built ROM. That is what I gather.

3. shaddyyy

So if we skipped on installing the gapps from the zip and just installed it from the market is there any problem?

4. DSG04lightning

DSG04lightning Well-Known Member

I believe the zip just contains what is in the market as sort of a one stop shop. If you would rather dl everything from market separate then that's up to you

I could be wrong.

I installed Toro 21 and didn't flash Gapps tried to install wallet and it said it needed authentication from a Google account(Google employee) I nandroided back because I thought it was a problem with it. Looking back it might have worked if I installed Gapps not sure though.

5. shaddyyy

Thanks everyone for your help

6. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

I wouldn't, but you could try it. Reason being is that these developers test the ROMS with the version of gapps they choose. By going and dnld'ing what you want you might run into compatibility issues/force closes/crashes/etc...

As DSG04 stated it is a "one-stop-shop" so to speak, but also tested by the dev and his/her testers.

7. nkk

nkk Android Expert

One of the other reasons IIRC is that ROMs that are completely open source or compiled from AOSP do not have them because the gapps are not open source.

-Nkk

jbdan likes this.
  8. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Android Enthusiast

The problem is that the Market itself is part of the gapps ZIP ;)

Crashumbc likes this.
  9. kg2128

kg2128 Well-Known Member

Yup and also a lot of Rom makers don't include a file manager/browser. Even if you download the market apk and transfer to your phone, you can't install it that way either.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews