1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] wifi notification screen nag

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adamj575, Aug 14, 2012.

1. adamj575

adamj575 Newbie

Ok so i rooted using the no flash method then used the tip using sqleditor to get rid of the wifi notification. Then decided I was not ready to be rooted (too many options and was scared id mess things up) decided to return top stock through odin, flashed the stock rom and all went well...then today the wifi nag went away again...I have no idea why...there should be no remnants left of me rooting should there?...after flashing the stock rom I wiped all user data and the cache...I have no idea how anything could be left behind....ps..im coming from a jailbroken iphone so I know a little but am no expert by any means...thanks for any help?...and at the end of the day i am kinda glad that stupid notification is gone but I just dont understand how thats possible...sorry for the long post

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

There's nothing to worry about with being rooted, especially if:
    - you configure Superuser app to notify you when an app requests root access
    - you create NANDroid backups (using recovery)
    - you aren't reckless

You are talking about the "Connected to [network]" entry in the pulldown, correct? Can you link to the procedure you used?

Did you perform a factory data reset?

adamj575 likes this.
  3. adamj575

adamj575 Newbie

well, actually im in the process of following your guide to root using odin with the rooted rom...downloading the rom now...as far as what i did...i used noxious ninja's guide on xda to root using the no flash...then i downloaded sqleditor lite and followed a guide on droidlife to change the value to "0" in the wifi notification area (cant remember exactly what the string was called, but it was the right one) the notification went away but then i started having little hiccups like not getting texts in a timeley manner etc. and blamed it on the root...prolly had nothing to do with it but like i said im new...then I followed another guide to return to stock and downloaded odin and the stock rom...i flashed it and then wiped the cache and wiped all user data....all was good, i reinstalled my apps and got everything back to stock...but now the notification is gone and I cant understand why it should be....if everything was stock there is no way it should be gone...to make sure I didnt still have root i downloaded adfree and it said it couldnt get root....so I dont know...gonna give rooting another go....one main concern of mine is when JB is released on the galaxy s3 will I be able to update or will i have to return to stock again then update...in which case i would ask am i completely stock it that nag was still gone...sorry again for the long post...

4. Rolo42

haha...I see you are downloading it now..there..more bandwidth.

First, not to worry, whatever you do can be undone. I've borked my phone more times than days I've had it so far because I was experimenting and learning. After the nth wipe/rebuild, it's just peachy.

- I've seen that method on Droid Life but it seemed like it could cause problems or not work at all (feedback) so I avoided it. There is a thread on xda with some mods that will properly get rid of it; it has a few zips attached. I'm using the ICSBlueFull.zip one but there's another one that removes WiFi notification.

- The only potential issue with root is to be sure you update the Superuser app (from the play store, it should automatically pop-up on first boot) and actually launch the Superuser app once; otherwise, it may not actually grant root access. (This was my observation.)

- Don't take OTA updates if you've "modified" your phone in any way, to include root access. I'm not saying it won't work; others have said it either won't or you'll just lose root afterwards. I'm saying, "Don't tempt fate." and do a full wipe, reinstall and configure everything manually. It's cumbersome at first but it'll avert problems later and keep you from wondering if something does go wrong. (I admonished against Windows upgrade-in-place for the same reason; just reformat/install instead.)

- re: long post. That's never a problem. Tip: add some white space. ;)

It looks like your download is finished. Before you Odin flash it, format internal storage, factory data reset, wipe caches. You can format external storage, just make sure you copy anything you want to keep from it to your PC first. You can format /system but you'll have to pull the battery to reboot.

5. adamj575

adamj575 Newbie

well, i am rooted and all looks ok...i didnt know to format the internal storage...ive never done that so that may have caused some of my problems...it kept all of my apps and i went back and changed the value back to 1 on the wifi hack...its back to normal now...should i wipe again and format and wipe user data and cache and then reflash? or am i ok with what i have now?

6. adamj575

adamj575 Newbie

while im picking your brain could you inform me how to do a couple of things...

format internal storage

install those zips from xda like the custom wifi toggles

and if not to sound stupid anything else that i might need to know....i plan on getting balls deep in this and would like to install cm10 when it is stable...

thanks a million bro!

7. Rolo42

- You're probably fine now; I don't' see why you wouldn't be

- If you're using TWRP2.2 recovery, hit the Wipe button and you'll see buttons for everything, to include formatting internal storage. If you're using CWM, I have no idea as I don't use it.

- You install those mods from recovery.

8. adamj575

adamj575 Newbie

again, not to sound dumb at this but how do I flash the mods from recovery...where do i save the zips to? and is there just an option in twrp to flash them once i have them saved?

9. Rolo42

1. Save the zip file anywhere on your phone.
    2. Boot into TWRP
    Optional: make a NANDroid backup from the backup menu
    3. Hit Install button
    4. Select the zip file
    5. Clear cache & Dalvik (Wipe menu)
    6. Reboot|System

CWM would be the same thing, just different menu structure.

10. adamj575

adamj575 Newbie

Thanks man...I figured it all out...even installed synergy 1.7....and loving it!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews