• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Wifi Tether no longer working after Jelly Bean

BadTA

Jul 25, 2011
I am on Verizon and have been using FoxFi for quite some time. Now that I have upgraded to Jelly Bean, it doesn't work. It just says "Wifi mode has failed on your phone. Please use Bluetooth mode instead."

I have tried other tether apps like Barnacle and Wifi-Tether. Each with no luck.

Is anyone else having the same issues? Any idea what's going on?

Please help, before I downgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Call me crazy, but I prefer to use a separate app like Wifi Tether. For me, the app is easier to access and set up, and for whatever reason, whenever I enable native tethering, it automatically disables my wifi, but doesn't turn it back on when I turn tethering off. Since I use the presence of wifi networks to trigger Tasker profiles, having my wifi turned off unexpectedly gets pretty annoying...
I really hope someone (ROM makers, tether app authors, whoever) get this working again fairly soon!

Upvote 0
Call me crazy, but I prefer to use a separate app like Wifi Tether. For me, the app is easier to access and set up, and for whatever reason, whenever I enable native tethering, it automatically disables my wifi, but doesn't turn it back on when I turn tethering off. Since I use the presence of wifi networks to trigger Tasker profiles, having my wifi turned off unexpectedly gets pretty annoying...
I really hope someone (ROM makers, tether app authors, whoever) get this working again fairly soon!

Its the app developers that need to update their apps to work with JellyBean.

You can use something like SwitchPro Widget and add a tether switch to your desktop. This makes it super easy to turn it on and off. Wireless can also be contolled in the same switch widget, so even if the system doesn't turn wireless bqck on automatically, it can easily be turned back on.

Upvote 0

I'm on Bugless Beast JB and native tether does not turn off my wifi when I exit. Before I rooted, FoxFi used to turn off my wifi. Also, FoxFi wouldn't save my access point name. It kept changing it to a random name each time I started it. Native tether on BB saves it for me.

Upvote 0
That doesn't apply if the user is on the older unlimited plan. Obviously if you are paying for the actual data used (not unlimited), then it really shouldn't matter if the data was used while tethered or not.
So, as a non-rooted user of a RAZR maxx who still has an unlimited data plan and regularly uses a 3rd party wifi tethering app, should I avoid upgrading to 4.1? It seems like I'll have to pay to use the native app if I update.

Upvote 0
So, as a non-rooted user of a RAZR maxx who still has an unlimited data plan and regularly uses a 3rd party wifi tethering app, should I avoid upgrading to 4.1? It seems like I'll have to pay to use the native app if I update.

I'm on Sourcery 5.1 myself, and use my tether fairly often. I don't stream tons through it, so I doubt they have had much call to look my way as to if I'm paying for the verizon tethering. It works fine, I have yet to be charged for it. I would imagine if you're streaming gobs of gigs of data per month, they might look closer. But I think I use maybe 5-10gb a month? MAX. (I don't have good coverage at home, and 4G is only a few areas around me to share to my tablet).

EDIT: Obviously, it is an "at-risk" thing, but it's not going to matter how you're tethering. The way it's written for VZW as it stands - If you're on unlimited data, you are supposed to pay for their tethering, doesn't matter what version you're on, or what ROM you use. If you're on the tiered data plans, then the tethering is free to use, be it a native ROM tether, or 3rd party. Does it work on unlimited data? Yes. Can they shut that down / charge you if they find out, and wish to do so? Yes. Use at own risk... my case, I've done it for over a year, and no issues yet.

Upvote 0
Following the upgrade to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 11.2.A.0.21 Firmware on my Xperia J (Virgin Mobile network in UK), I also deleted all my APN settings and created a single new APN with these details in order for Tethering to start working with actual Internet connection once again:
APN Name: WDS
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: user
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
Authentication Type: PAP
APN Type: default,supl
APN Protocol: IPv4

All other settings were left as default or not set. After entering the above information I was able to connect to the internet via tethering using my other phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones