• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Will Color Calibration fix my yellow tinted screen

dabomb224

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
So long story short, I replaced my first Nexus, which had major vertical banding, with a new one. No banding at all. Unfortunately, I noticed a problem with the new one as well: a heavy yellowish tint to everything. I have read a bit about different kernels having the capability to calibrate screen color, and I was wondering if anyone had done this yet or had any recommendations. Thanks.

Unfortunately it came out of the box this way. I compared it to my first Gnex and it was obvious. At this point I doubt that I can get a replacement, since you cant really call this a "defect".

I was reading that some kernels come with color calibration tools, or precalibrated. If that is false, then my only hope might be to take the phone into a Samsung store and ask for a new one (Apple Store style). Not sure where Id find one of those though.

EDIT: Ok, I did some digging and this was the kernel with the prealtered color balance. Since I'm a former DX guy, I'm a bit unclear on this whole Kernel flashing thing. Assuming Im rooted, do I flash this through Clockwork Mod, or is this another fastboot thing? Also, is this something that I can reverse with a Nandroid if it's no good?

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10647-ke...stun-initd-colors/page__p__259355#entry259355

Upvote 0
EDIT: Ok, I did some digging and this was the kernel with the prealtered color balance. Since I'm a former DX guy, I'm a bit unclear on this whole Kernel flashing thing. Assuming Im rooted, do I flash this through Clockwork Mod, or is this another fastboot thing? Also, is this something that I can reverse with a Nandroid if it's no good?

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10647-ke...stun-initd-colors/page__p__259355#entry259355

You flash like a rom in recovery, just no need to wipe data. A nandroid does backup/restore kernels.

Reactions: dabomb224
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones