1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Verizon] Will my phone get the jellybean OTA update if it is rooted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by babygoat666, Dec 13, 2012.

1. babygoat666

babygoat666 Newbie

Will my phone get the jellybean OTA update if it is rooted? If so, should I avoid it?
    Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert

If you have a custom recovery (CWM) it will fail. You will need to go back to stock recovery and may need to use Kies to install.
    No do not avoid, it is worth the upgrade.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Android Enthusiast

Is it rootable?

4. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

you can have the OTA update RIGHT NOW if you're rooted...actually you could have had it a week ago

5. babygoat666

babygoat666 Newbie

How do I get it now? I just checked 'Software Update' through settings and it said no update was available. Thanks!

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

You shouldn't be taking ota updates if you are rooted. Just flash the rooted Rom when it comes out

7. babygoat666

babygoat666 Newbie

Ok that's what I was trying to ask but I'm getting some different answers.

8. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

its been out for over a week!

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Android Enthusiast

I also found it confusing. Getting two different answers.

Is the rooted rom around here somewhere? I guess i could check xda.

10. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

The stock builds are over at xda as always

11. StillHacking

StillHacking Member

I defered the update for a day then forgot to defer again and it updated while I was busy. It is a nice upgrade and does seem a bit smoother. I was able to restore root with Voodoo Rootkeeper and unlock the bootloader again with EZ-Unlock. If you want to keep it simple and not flash a rooted ROM tis option seemed to work fine for me.

SH

12. beerfish

beerfish Lurker

MY phone was rooted and running CM10. I reverted it back to a stock rom and no longer have root. I was with three others over the weekend that have the same phone and they all received the OTA update. Mine still says no new software update available. Should I just be patient and wait for Verizon to roll it out to everybody, or because of my previous root am I going to not be getting the OTA update? I am running i535vrlhd. Kies says that My devices current firmware isnt supported to update via Kies.

Thanks for your help.

13. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

VRLHD was a leaked build of ICS...not official...that is possibly why its not seeing an update

beerfish likes this.
  14. beerfish

beerfish Lurker

Crap. Ok. What's the correct build?

Update. I just upgraded it myself using the VRBLK3 build on the XDA site without wiping my data. Piece of cake. Thanks for your help.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews