• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Will NOT Comply!! Rock your Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
All U.S. Galaxy Note 7's will receive an update on the 19th December, that will stop them charging. The exception to this is T-Mobile (USA), who are delaying the update until the 27th December and Verizon, who have not announced their cut-off date as yet.

This means that once the update has been pushed out by Samsung and the carriers, they will no longer be responsible for injuries or damage caused by the phones and instead, any owners that choose not to update, will be liable, personally, since insurance companies will absolve themselves from responsibility for claims after the update. I am guessing that carriers may even follow the example of Australia and New Zealand and in future, blacklist/disconnect any odd Note 7's still holding out. 93% of U.S. Galaxy Note 7's have already been returned according to Samsung. See...

It's official: Note7 units in the US will stop charging on December 19, except Verizon's

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All U.S. Galaxy Note 7's will receive an update on the 19th December, that will stop them charging. The exception to this is T-Mobile (USA), who are delaying the update until the 27th December and Verizon, who have not announced their cut-off date as yet.

This means that once the update has been pushed out by Samsung and the carriers, they will no longer be responsible for injuries or damage caused by the phones and instead, any owners that choose not to update, will be liable, personally, since insurance companies will absolve themselves from responsibility for claims after the update. I am guessing that carriers may even follow the example of Australia and New Zealand and in future, blacklist/disconnect any odd Note 7's still holding out. 93% of U.S. Galaxy Note 7's have already been returned according to Samsung. See...

It's official: Note7 units in the US will stop charging on December 19, except Verizon's

Does that mean that any exploding Note 7 on Verizon's or T-mobile's network, the carriers may be liable until they push the update?

On a side note (non-exploding variety), I found it interesting that the courts recently ruled in Samsung's favor against their lawsuit with Apple. Was that a sympathy judgment for Samsung?

Upvote 0
i think verizon is the only smart one of the 4 carriers. why have your employees spend time with these returns during the busiest time of the year. they make $0.00 profit with these returns. they are delaying the update until january when the same employees are all looking for something to do. thats why tmobile is delaying it until the 27th. thats the day we start returning all the crap we got on the 25th. the n7 owners will be in line with the people that got flobees & combustable hoverboards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does that mean that any exploding Note 7 on Verizon's or T-mobile's network, the carriers may be liable until they push the update?
I'm sure that some lawyers will make a lot of money out of that. But given all of the publicity around these phones I wouldn't bet against all of the corporations (carrier, manufacturer, any insurance companies) arguing that the owner was responsible because they chose to ignore the warnings and recalls.
On a side note (non-exploding variety), I found it interesting that the courts recently ruled in Samsung's favor against their lawsuit with Apple. Was that a sympathy judgment for Samsung?
I very much doubt it. In any event the court's job is to rule on the law, and if their ruling does not hold water legally it will be open to challenge, so it would be a silly thing to do.

Upvote 0
i think verizon is the only smart one of the 4 carriers. why have your employees spend time with these returns during the busiest time of the year. they make $0.00 profit with these returns. they are delaying the update until january when the same employees are all looking for something to do. thats why tmobile is delaying it until the 27th. thats the day we start returning all the crap we got on the 25th. the n7 owners will be in line with the people that got flobees & combustable hoverboards.
The big problem is the idiots that didn't return the phone when they had the chance. Just bring it back and deal with. We all know it sucks but why chance it? Verizon has an obligation as a vendor to deal with the returns. This would have all been over by now if people just returned them straight away.

Upvote 0
I very much doubt it. In any event the court's job is to rule on the law, and if their ruling does not hold water legally it will be open to challenge, so it would be a silly thing to do.

I guess I'm a little more cynical about our justice system. When you consider a lower court judged in Apple's favor, you can't just say that the judgment doesn't hold water legally. Someone obviously thought the judgment held water in the lower court.

The judgment in my opinion would be if I was ticketed for speeding. I could argue that today's cars are much safer than they were when the speed limits were put in place and that the speed limits are no longer applicable. I doubt the legal system would see it that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The big problem is the idiots that didn't return the phone when they had the chance. Just bring it back and deal with. We all know it sucks but why chance it? Verizon has an obligation as a vendor to deal with the returns. This would have all been over by now if people just returned them straight away.
Without getting personal badcatz this idiot DID return/replace his Note 7 after the first recall. So after that pain in the ass procedure of re-tweaking my contacts, files, photos etc., etc. Samsung issues a second recall because what a couple of phones caught fire??? I call that over reacting to the internet hype and ridicule of fools posting alleged burning vehicles and videos mocking Samsung. Furthermore and I repeat again on this forum IT'S A VOLUNTARY recall.

The biggest carrier in the USA has decided the sense of urgency regarding public safety is so minor that at some point it may push out the update from Samsung but not at this time. The chance of calamity versus the inconvenience to user's is so small in their eyes that they are now assuming liability for any incidents after the updated software is available!! Think about it. Samsung provides an update to essentially brick the phones for safety reasons and Verizon decides better to do it after the holidays!!!??? Leaving a window of at least another 30 days for disaster!!

I know many of you have made disparaging comments about those who continue to use their Note 7. Insinuating that in our infinite wisdom we think we know better then the engineers and safety officials. Well guess what I'm relying on Verizon NOW!!!

If Verizon's not worried why should I be?? I ask that question to all who bash users about the risk to others blah, blah blah! Lastly when a new phone is released that I want (not a substandard substitute). I will be happy to go pick it up. Until then I am enjoying my Note 7 (for free)(until it's doesn't work anymore). Thanks

Reactions: RaymondP
Upvote 0
I wasn't getting personal. I just fail to understand why people just flat out refuse to replace a defective, dangerous device when they have had plenty of opportunity to do so. I don't think it's over reacting at all. Samsung has a serious liability issue on it's hands and wants to end it as quickly as possible. Not returning the device only drags the whole thing out. Verizon has an obligation as a vendor partner with Samsung. The people who won't return their phones are only prolonging the pain for everybody and sooner or later your device will end up useless even if it hasn't gone up in smoke.

I think you are misunderstanding Verizon's position. They stated that they didn't want their customers without a working device over the Holidays. You can bet in January they will join the other carriers in shutting the remaining hold outs down.

You are the one that thinks they know more than engineers and safety officials. It's engineers and safety officials that are urging people to return their devices. You don't think Samsung's engineering department had any input to the recall?

So lets get hypothetical for a second. If your phone catches fire and burns up your house is the first thing you do going to be call a lawyer? Or are you going to say "oopsie, my bad"?

Upvote 0
"So lets get hypothetical for a second. If your phone catches fire and burns up your house is the first thing you do going to be call a lawyer? Or are you going to say "oopsie, my bad"?"

First I'm, going to call my insurance company. And their lawyers will argue (while suing Verizon) how the so-called danger was never truly expressed to the public. Thanks Verizon for delaying safety in the name of convenience! That btw is an open and shut case. As we all know Verizon has millions of refurb phones they could give out for free as replacements to those with no backup phone.

I didn't think you were getting personal other than referring to current users as IDIOTS. I just don't get others frustrations with hold outs? Who cares! I'm not telling VW (and maybe Audi) owners to get off the road because the last 1o years of emissions tests have been faked. And their destroying the planet.

Lastly I'm not prolonging yours or anybody else's pain. It's my problem to deal with (I need a replacement phone and I want nothing available). If you want to pay attention to the news or forums that's your choice. Samsung claims they fixed the replacement phones and I went and got one. They rushed those out to preserve profit no doubt.

Bottom line to me is when a major carrier with 3 months of use STILL does not turn off the phone and then DELAYS the release of software to disable it. That says to me return it when it's a brick. Thanks

PS: A quick Google and I can't find a report of fire since early October.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm thankful I've been able to disable the system packages that otherwise would allow Samsung/Verizon to force their updates on my device. They can mull that over for a while.
You think they'll do any mulling? They'll send the update out, give it a few days, see how many Note 7s are still being used on their network then decide whether to disconnect them. Which they may do sooner, later or never, but will be entirely up to them.

Upvote 0
You think they'll do any mulling? They'll send the update out, give it a few days, see how many Note 7s are still being used on their network then decide whether to disconnect them. Which they may do sooner, later or never, but will be entirely up to them.

I checked back with Verizon just now, about their announced plans for January 5th, for the Note 7. Here's the two take away pieces of information:

1.) Verizon will be allowing or otherwise facilitating Samsung performing its announced update to the Note 7 to render it useless. HOWEVER.., Verizon will not be doing anything to terminate Verizon's cell and data network services to ANY customers in relation to this, whatsoever, indefinitely. I very clearly asked and was answered that as long as a customer continues paying for their services from Verizon, Verizon will continue providing their services to the customer. Verizon will not be doing anything to shut off or block any customers with Note 7's, for any reason. So as long as your Note 7 functions normally for whatever the reason, it will continue to operate normally on Verizon's network.

2.) Verizon has no stated plans to charge any customers for the purchase cost of their Note 7's. That completely contradicts what a chat rep told me, in no uncertain terms, on December 9th. The rep I communicated with today said that was definitely not the case, and said she would file a report about the wrong information I was given. She asked for and I gave her the transcript ID number of that earlier discussion. I now have no reason to believe Verizon is ever going to try and make me pay a purchase price of any kind for my Note 7.

All in all, i think that's pretty good news for all us Note 7 owners.

Upvote 0
All in all, i think that's pretty good news for all us Note 7 owners.

How is an update that disables wireless functionality good news for all Note 7 owners? Regardless of what the rep told you, their website says differently.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/sup...f8427e&cuhid=3ef4f1269d916dfdc50f41715ea99934

Edit - I actually think I misinterpreted your first paragraph. You've disabled updates haven't you?

Does that disable the remote install of apks Verizon sometimes do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How is an update that disables wireless functionality good news for all Note 7 owners? Regardless of what the rep told you, their website says differently.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/sup...f8427e&cuhid=3ef4f1269d916dfdc50f41715ea99934

Edit - I actually think I misinterpreted your first paragraph. You've disabled updates haven't you?

Does that disable the remote install of apks Verizon sometimes do?

Well, the good news to me is, Verizon isn't planning to cut service to Note 7 devices. They're just letting Samsung effectively brick them. You're correct - I've disabled the packages on my device that would let Samsung or Verizon push OTA updates to my device. I'll review what I've disabled though, to try and make sure I haven't left any side doors open for Verizon or Samsung to install anything, which then could of course be designed to effect the crippling OTA update subsequently. Thanks for mentioning it :)

Upvote 0
Verizon has decided to allow Note 7 owners to be able to use their devices through the holiday season... but on January 5th, the kill switch will be thrown and the Samsung OTA goes out.

I won't tell you what to do, but I bought a good Note 4 cheap and I'll rock with it until the Note 8 comes out ;)
But again, if you thwart the Samsung OTA update killware, your Note 7 won't become inert, and at that point you can continue using it like normal, indefinitely - because Verizon has stated they won't be cutting anyone's services at all, for their part.

Upvote 0
If you still have a note 7 at this point, you need to be locked up in jail. You are a danger to yourself, your family, your community and anyone with you.

The fact is that these devices are known to explode. It doesn't matter how 'safe' you think you are. You are a danger to everyone
That there are still ignorant people like you, spouting that nonsense, is a testament to the abysmal level of herd ignorance our general population has fallen down to, these last several decades.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones