• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Will this make a significant improvement with battery life and performance?

djc999

Dec 27, 2010
I'm thinking about buying a nexus but I heard the battery life sucks. I heard if you use patient zero, franco kernal, and 4.0.4 radios, it will make a significant improvement with battery life and performance. Is this true? The only way I buy this phone is if these changes make it better, not create more problems.

Hopefully a mod will move this to the root forum as youll get a better answer there about custom roms and kernels.

What type of usage do you do? How much talk? How much web? do you stream audio/video?

Will you be on verizon? Are you in 4g area?

I mainly text, email, gchat, read the news and sports. Don't talk much at all. Don't play games really, but will use apps for sporting news, weather, etc. I won't be streaming audio, and will barely use streaming video. It will be on verizon and I'm in a dc suburb. I would be fine with keeping 4g disabled all the time unless I really need it

Upvote 0
There's certain mods you can do to improve battery life. Haven't heard much of Patient Zero, but I'm currently running LiquidSmooth 1.25 with Lean Kernel 2.8 and am currently 26 hours since unplugged with decent usage. The longer you can keep it on wifi the better. Do you plan on being on wifi for a good portion of your days? I got these results half wifi and half 4g and have about 10% remaining

Upvote 0
Usage is very key to how long your battery lasts. If you have multiple background things syncing constantly you won't get your desired result with any of these tweaks. I sync 3 email accounts (Google and exchange are push with calendars, 1 other pop at 1 hour), twitter and facebook 1 hr, weather and 3 newsreader apps 2 hr. No matter what I do I seem to get 12-14 hours at best with 2 hours screen on time. On a heavy use day it can get get as bad as 10 hours.
I keep 4g off and use wifi in the office all day and at home. I use the 2100 mA battery. I am in a pretty poor signal area though.

Upvote 0
every phone acts differently to ROM/kernal combos. but you should see an improvement over stock with a ROM and kernal combo. Toggling 4g will be a HUGE battery saver. Wi-Fi is also a huge battery saver. it really depends on your usage on how long the battery will last. i can usually get about 12 hours of constant 4g (no toggling) i do some light game playing, forum browsing, some music streaming, messaging, very few calls.

it will be close, you can at least try it out for 14 days and if it doesn't work for you, return it.

the phone is great, and pretty much on par with other LTE devices on the market (minus the razr maxx) in terms of battery life. i have a car charger, a work charger, and a home charger so battery is no concern for me.

also, i have heard some great things about JuiceDefender. it turns off data when screen is off, but comes on from time to time to sync mail and other services you have syncing constantly. i am hearing double the battery life...but like i said, battery life is not an issue for me so i have never tried it out myself.

Upvote 0
Usage is very key to how long your battery lasts. If you have multiple background things syncing constantly you won't get your desired result with any of these tweaks. I sync 3 email accounts (Google and exchange are push with calendars, 1 other pop at 1 hour), twitter and facebook 1 hr, weather and 3 newsreader apps 2 hr. No matter what I do I seem to get 12-14 hours at best with 2 hours screen on time. On a heavy use day it can get get as bad as 10 hours.
I keep 4g off and use wifi in the office all day and at home. I use the 2100 mA battery. I am in a pretty poor signal area though.

What about screen brightness? On my old LG Ally, I kept the brightness on the lowest possible setting and it worked great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones