• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] XenonHD bloatware?

ymDroid

Apr 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Just wondering why Apex Launcher and Apollo Music can not be un-installed?

I don't use either of these apps. I prefer Nova and Google Music.

So why can't I uninstall them? Why not just allow us to download whatever music player or launcher from the market that we prefer?

Isn't it the same as bloatware?

Just wondering?

So why can't I uninstall them? Why not just allow us to download whatever music player or launcher from the market that we prefer?

Just wondering?

I did notice this and feel like it's the first ROM I've seen do this, though AOKP was using Nova Launcher as default in ICS builds (haven't tried it's JB builds, yet). Whenever i do a clean install I'm quick to freeze Apollo and Apex, as I prefer Nova. This is crazy easy to do in the apps menu and then they won't show up anywhere again.

Upvote 0
I too, like you, use Google Music and Nova Launcher, but I don't the others as bloatware. I see it as the dev is including some default apps so that people will have something already installed and ready to use when they flash this ROM. That's what most ROM's are about...is having a different look or feel that the dev decides to put in. So, I don't see them as bloatware...just the devs choice of app. :)

I don't freeze either...I just don't use either...I use the ones I like.

Upvote 0
Many devs install user apps like Nova, etc as system apps, which can cause problems for those who don't use those apps. I prefer Apex.

Install Titanium Backup Pro, then you have two options:

• Find Nova and long press on it and convert it to a user app. This is handy if you use the app but don't want to uninstall it. It can now be updated or uninstalled like a normal app.
  • Find Nova and use TIBU to uninstall it (or freeze it if you're not sure if it's the right program).

Upvote 0

Just wondering?

yea i prefer nova too. apollo is a great though, much better than google music.

some custom roms come with nova and some with apex, and some with neither. you can't uninstall them, and most seem to come with apex, unfortunately.

i have the pro versions of both apex and nova, nova is much better.

you can still install and use nova though, and there's a jb beta version for it too. you can grab it off nova's website, most nova roms are already coming with the update

Upvote 0
Many devs install user apps like Nova, etc as system apps, which can cause problems for those who don't use those apps. I prefer Apex.

Install Titanium Backup Pro, then you have two options:

• Find Nova and long press on it and convert it to a user app. This is handy if you use the app but don't want to uninstall it. It can now be updated or uninstalled like a normal app.
  • Find Nova and use TIBU to uninstall it (or freeze it if you're not sure if it's the right program).

Nova needs to be system app for widgets in the app drawer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones