• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon xperia play and updates

so ive had my play for about a month or so now and im loving it minus the fact that it comes with around 400 mb of internal storage. i currently have the 2.3.3 software. my question is this....does anybody know when and if verizon is ever going to release any new updates to this phone? i ask because ive been back and forth between sony and verizon and both say to ask the other. yes, i know its mainly up to the carrier to release the update, but come on, i think its total bs.

also, i wanna root my phone but im confused with which route to take and also if i use the superoneclick or doomlords method, do i need to install the android and java sdk's first? if someone could point me in the right direction, id greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance!!!

I also talked to Verizon a month ago. They told me it would be about a month or so for the update. But with Ice Cream Sandwich out they might be working on that instead of 2.3.4 (just my guess). All I can say is just keep an eye out on the notification bar for when they DO get around to releasing it. As for rooting, I wish I could help ya but I've only rooted my Optimus V. I'm sure someone else will be able to inform you on that though. Hang in there and welcome to the Xperia Play club!

Upvote 0
For rooting, I used the SuperOne Click method. It was super simple, Im not sure if you need the JRE and SDK, I already had all that on my PC, from developing apps. One thing to keep in mind, the bootloader can not be unlocked, unless you pay someone to do it. You can still root it, you just wont be able to flash any custom Kernel's on it for overclocking or anything, or be able to flash any custom ROM's that use custom Kernels.

Upvote 0
For rooting, I used the SuperOne Click method. It was super simple, Im not sure if you need the JRE and SDK, I already had all that on my PC, from developing apps. One thing to keep in mind, the bootloader can not be unlocked, unless you pay someone to do it. You can still root it, you just wont be able to flash any custom Kernel's on it for overclocking or anything, or be able to flash any custom ROM's that use custom Kernels.

i have my phone rooted, got busybox and titanium backup from the market and did my first backup last night. how can i take some of the pre-installed games and some apps that can't be moved to my sd card, and be able to move them? i have apps2sd installed too and only a select few apps can be moved

Upvote 0
i have my phone rooted, got busybox and titanium backup from the market and did my first backup last night. how can i take some of the pre-installed games and some apps that can't be moved to my sd card, and be able to move them? i have apps2sd installed too and only a select few apps can be moved

use titanium backup to move or uninstall the programs you don't want. find the app in the list then long press on said app and it'll take you to a screen where you can do what you want with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones