• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon...

Why would they change it? At least someone is marketing Android. Everyone one knows the iPhone, but mention Android and they'll be like "what?" so then you say "Droid'' and they know what your talking about. Unlike Apple, Google doesn't do their own marketing, so the carriers and phone companies have to do it for them, and Verizon seems to have found an effective way of marketing Android that distinguishes it.

Upvote 0
Verizon paid all that money for the right to title the line Droid and you want them to stop? Lucas protects his copyrights like a mother bear, so it wasn't just a couple of bucks they tossed him, you can bet they are going to milk that until he decides that the word droid is making his movies look bad and smacks them with a C&D letter (he would, too.)

Upvote 0
Frankly, I don't see the attraction of the name "droid" or any Star Wars related theme. In my humble opinion, Android represents something new (it is not your parent's cell phone), but Star Wars represents something old.

It may be old, but you'd have to look pretty hard to find someone who doesn't know Star Wars. I think if they hadn't started the droid marketing campaign android would not be as well known as it is.

One could make the argument that iPhone is the same way. The iPod and iMac have been around for quite awhile now (in terms of technology anyway). When they were deciding what to name their new phone, they continued with the "i" naming scheme, becuase of how many iPods and iMacs were sold. They are recognized worldwide, like Star Wars.

Upvote 0
Frankly, I don't see the attraction of the name "droid" or any Star Wars related theme. In my humble opinion, Android represents something new (it is not your parent's cell phone), but Star Wars represents something old.
Quite the contrary, Star Wars isn't something old... it's something timeless and ubiquitos. The long-term cultural impact of Star Wars is undeniable.

VZW and Google aren't trying to represent Android as something "new." That's been done time and again, and it always means that something newer and better is around the corner. No... they're inferring that Android is iconic. It's not today's flash in the pan that will be gone in a few years.

Upvote 0
I only wish they had not given Droid (the Motorola Droid) the same name as an entire series of phones. It's easy to do a Google search for "Droid X", "Droid Eris" or "Droid Incredible", but their approach has made it much harder to search for "Droid" and not come up with a ton of results for these other phones as well. The fact that their marketing has been so successful has made matters worse, in that Droid has become the Kleenex of Android phones.

Upvote 0
I only wish they had not given Droid (the Motorola Droid) the same name as an entire series of phones. It's easy to do a Google search for "Droid X", "Droid Eris" or "Droid Incredible", but their approach has made it much harder to search for "Droid" and not come up with a ton of results for these other phones as well. The fact that their marketing has been so successful has made matters worse, in that Droid has become the Kleenex of Android phones.

Exactly how I feel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones